Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Turbanator

Monday August 10th, 2009 - Chicago, IL

I’m still riding the high from the whole radio experience in Kenosha last night. It wasn’t the actual show itself, even though that was totally fun. It’s the collective vibe of each one of the people that all fit together. I’m the one who created that and it’s all very satisfying.

I’m the one who got to be in charge of how the whole project developed and I let things happen organically. When someone showed up I found a place for them and encouraged a contribution based on what their strengths were. I built the show around the talents of the various cast members and didn’t rule with an iron fist. Now it’s all starting to gel nicely.

I’m attracting outstanding people of all different kinds and I totally love that. I’ve never wanted to just have clones of me around and thankfully there aren’t very many of those. It makes everyone better when it’s a diverse mix and that’s the beauty of this whole project.

We’ve got an eclectic and diverse mix of men and women and different age groups that come together on the air in exactly the right combination. There’s a real chemistry and we all can feel it and everyone enjoys it. The same feeling exists with Jerry’s Kidders as well. I’m not in charge of the Kidders but it’s still fun to be in the group. I love the team angle.

I always remember reading how Charlie Chaplin utilized his own creative team to make his films over the years. They were like a family and when it was time to work they had a strong chemistry that evolved over years of working together and everyone had their role.

Chaplin was in charge but he wasn’t an iron fisted dictator. He was the creative director of a group of talented people. Everyone knew it was Chaplin’s baby but they contributed to the whole and it worked. George Clinton has the same role in Parliament/Funkadelic. It starts and ends with him and he’s driving the bus but all kinds of talented people add to it.

That’s the model I want to use and it seems to be working at least on some level. I have attracted some very talented people and I love passing them the ball and letting them have their time in the spotlight. I know I can encourage them and get the best out of their talent and I really relish the leadership role in those situations. I want the best results for us all.

Today I had lunch with my friend Raminder Chadha. He’s a very good guy I’ve known for many years. He happens to be of Indian descent and has a very distinct look complete with turban and full beard. His nickname is ‘The Turbanator’ and he’s a wonderful soul.

I hadn’t seen Raminder in way too long and I invited Bill Gorgo to join us. Bill is a very creative mind as well and we had a fun and productive lunch. We kicked around so many ideas we lost count but I felt the spark of creativity the whole time and I always love that.

Raminder would be one of my choices for a creative team for many reasons. He’s smart and fun and fits totally into my vision of what an idea like this would be about. I’d love a group of talent at my disposal to start shaping projects around. Wait, I’ve already got one!

No comments: