Thursday, April 1, 2010

Eye Of The Turtle

Wednesday March 31st, 2010 - Chicago, IL/Milwaukee, WI

I’m finally starting to feel like I’ve got a grip on what I’m doing or at least where I think I’d like to go. I’m looking deep into my own head and picturing the outcome of all of that hard work I’ve been putting in all these years. It sure would be a waste if it didn’t pay off.

It’s starting to, if even a little bit. I had lunch today with Marc Schultz and Tim Walkoe, and I’ve known those guys for years. Marc is a booker and is trying to sell Tim and me as a package deal to corporate type shows. Tim is a fantastic comedian and I’d love to get an opportunity to work with him any time. All the times we have in the past have kicked ass.

I was able to turn Tim on to a gig I did a while back in DeKalb, IL which paid him very well. He had a great show so he cut me a check for $100 as a thank you. I told him it was unnecessary, but he still felt he wanted to do it so I took it. I’ve done that in the past and it sure does leave a positive impression with those who receive it. I can see why Tim did it.

It’s just the right thing to do. It’s class. It’s not necessary, but it sure does go a long way for a small cost. The lowlife maggots I’ve dealt with over the years still leave a repugnant taste in my mouth whenever their name comes up, but the opposite it true too. Winners do it right and go the extra mile, or however long it takes. That’s the only way I want to do it.

I’m glad I spent all that time yesterday getting the Facebook pages started. That’s how it works these days when it comes to marketing, especially on the cheap. In just one day I’m already over 100 friends on each list, and that’s a fantastic start in my opinion. I’ll grow it steadily, and it’s not out of line to think I can send out at least ten friend requests a day.

The difficult part was starting it up, but I did it. I truly believe this is the best time in the history of the world to build contacts, and contacts are what most businesses are all about. If I know the people I need to and more importantly they know (and think of) me, I’ll be a busy boy with more business than I can handle. That’s the goal, and I want to achieve it.

It’ll take work to keep these lists growing and more importantly keep up with all of the personal messages and emails, but I think it’s crucial to maintain an edge on all the others who can’t and won’t do it. I’ve seen what marketing does, and Dane Cook is the king of a new generation. It doesn’t matter what his act is, he’s KNOWN. People buy the familiar.

I’m not there yet, but I’m doing more than a few things right lately. It’s still battling the clock every day, but everyone else is too. I’m not worried about them. I can only focus on my needs and wants, and the more progress I make, the more I can contribute to the needs and wants of others to make their lives better too. Either way, it’s up to me to get started.

The whole way business is done is changing and I need to be on top of it. Not only that, I still care about my act and the product I give people who come to see me so I’ve got my hands full for quite a while. If I can get something done every day, I’ll win the race. It’s a lot like the old fable of the tortoise and the hare. Action wins out. It’s the eye of the turtle!

No comments: