Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Doubts, Pouts And Right Back Out

Saturday August 21st, 2010 - Miami, FL

   This is the part of comedy that causes people to drink, drug or whatever else one does at a low point to forget their intense pain. I’m feeling about as low as a worm‘s weenie, but I can’t let on to anyone on the ship as I’m still new and not ‘in’ yet. I have to keep smiling.

   The truth is, nobody cares. The people who saw my shows sure don’t. The first one was sparsely populated, as was the second. That’s good for me, as there aren’t many witnesses to testify in court that they didn’t like it, if indeed they didn’t. They just sat there staring.

   The last one was full, and it reminded me of the infamous buffet I ate at The Stardome in Birmingham, AL. It’s one of my all time tank job stories, and I hope the entire state of Alabama gets plowed over and made into a giant compost heap. Those people are idiots.

   I’ve never had what I’d consider a hot show in Alabama, but I sure have had some ugly ones. My debacle in Tuscaloosa was so bad it made a compilation book of comedy stories from the road called ‘I Killed’. I almost lost my life that night, and I don’t ever want to go back there. I don’t like the entire South in general, and the feeling appears to be mutual.

   That’s how I felt last night. I’m not sure how many of those people were Southerners or not, but the reaction was the same. They didn’t get it, and I don’t think my stuff is all that complicated. I’ve done it for years, and usually something works at some point. That’s the thing that’s so frustrating about nights like this - it’s not like I’m trying out first time bits.

   Some people just don’t get it. It’s not for them, and that’s fine. But it sure is hell to have to sit through it on both ends. I’m sure they didn’t like it any more than I liked being there but that’s how it worked out. I won’t make excuses, even though there are some reasons.

   The other comedian Mutzie has a different stage personality altogether. His material has no bite at all, and he’s just a goof up there. He has charisma, and shaves his head to create a distinct look. He’s very likeable, but creatively he’s not doing anything I haven’t seen at least a thousand times before. Apparently, these audiences have never seen any of it at all.

   He was on BET for six years on the show ‘Comic View’, a show which I don’t get. I’ve never found it to be the least bit funny, but I’m not black. It must be some kind of culture thing. It’s odd, as I like black music very much and know my way around it like no other Caucasian I know. But when it comes to comedy, I just don’t find most of it very funny.

   Everything is a matter of taste, and I wasn’t the pleasure of the people on this particular cruise. Well, not all of them. Friday went quite well actually, and it wasn’t a matter of any kind of black/white or North/South issue. There were all kinds Friday, and they laughed.

   This is still a new animal, and I’m learning the hard way. I’m willing to keep trying, but I’m not willing to do the Arms Expert bit to survive. It’s just not what I do or who I am. It will be interesting to see how this next week goes. For all I know, it could be my last one.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: