Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Einstein's Hair Style

Monday February 20th, 2012 - Fox Lake, IL

   Go, go, go. Run, run, run. Work, work, work. My life has played out like the plot from a ‘Dick and Jane’ 1st grade reader lately. I’m all over the place like Einstein’s hair style, and every day has been a constant race against the clock to squeeze in everything I need to do.

   This isn’t how I think life should be, but since when has anybody including the universe cared about what I think? It’s how things are. It does make it a bit challenging to stop and smell life’s roses, and eventually I have to think I’ll burn out if I continue this hectic pace.

   But there are just too many things I really like doing. I can’t make up my mind. Should I work on my on stage comedy act? Focus on finding more bookings? What about teaching more classes and getting my program online so I can help new comics all over the world?

   It all sounds great, and I want to do all of that. But, I also love hosting ‘The Mothership Connection’ radio show on WLIP in Kenosha, WI and the whole show could stand some tweaking as well. It’s a lot of fun, but it could be a lot better if I put more effort into it.

   And then there’s the King of Uranus. That’s my baby, and I love the thought of making that character FINALLY come to life after years of brewing in my head. It’s showing a lot of promise, and I feel more reaction to that than anything else I’ve ever done. It’s a thrill.

   But wait a minute, I still have a ‘Schlitz Happened! An Old Milwaukee Blatz From The Pabst’ one man show to get off the ground. That’s a lot of fun too, and I know people will enjoy it if they grew up in Milwaukee like I did. If I find the right venue, it’s ready to go.

   And people wonder why I’m single. Who has time for a steady girlfriend, much less get married or spawn any kids? I can barely find time to take women out for lunch or dinner, but I still manage to squeeze that in at least once in a while. My calendar is a heaping pile of things to do, and no matter how much I get done it seems like I’m not making progress.

   That’s extremely frustrating, because I know it’s not true. I absolutely AM making a lot of progress, even though I don’t always get an opportunity to enjoy it. There’s always the next thing that needs my attention, and I admit I’m getting frazzled, frustrated and fed up.

   I wish I had an easy solution. It’s easy to say I’m just going to focus on one thing, but it never works out in reality. I’ve got too many interests, and too many coins in various slot machines to narrow it down to just the one. I think I have to find a better system to make the most of what time I do have. I’m building most of these ideas from ground zero, and that devours my time and effort. Things are progressing slowly, but they are progressing.

   And then there’s the C. Cardell Willis All Star Tribute Show on Sunday April 22nd at Shank Hall in Milwaukee. That’s a priority too, and has a shelf life. This will be my one chance to pay tribute to a mentor who made a lot of what I’m doing possible, because he helped me cut my chops. I can’t forget that, and I don’t. Lots going on. Full speed ahead.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: