Saturday, October 27, 2012

Untitled

Friday October 26th, 2012 – Milwaukee, WI/Burlington, WI

   Again with the crazy schedule. It doesn’t let up. I drove up to Milwaukee today to run a couple of errands which turned out to be more than a couple and take up most of the day. I tried to make the most of my time and get everything out of the way, but by the end of the day I was worn out.

   The first stop was breakfast with my cousin Wendy, which turned out to be a family reunion as her husband Dan, daughter Katie and her husband Doug and their daughter Sofia joined us. I had some miscellaneous donations for the Josh Albert fundraiser to pass along that have been coming in after the fact, and mailing all of it would have been both expensive and a huge pain in the ass.

   All of them were still glowing about the event, and that makes me feel like I spread some good and my time and efforts were worth it. I suggested we go over and bring Officer Albert a meal or something and visit for a little while and they thought it was a fantastic idea. I know how isolated it can feel in a long recovery period, as I went through it myself. A visitor can make a difference.

   Spreading vibes of healing and kindness is all I want to do whenever I can do it with the rest of my life. That’s all that matters, and situations like this show me how much it’s needed. There are a lot of people who can use some positive energy, and I want to be around it as much as possible.

   After breakfast it was off to meet my friend Lynn Miner – another kind soul. Lynn was right in the front row at the benefit, and was on the same page when he suggested we go visit sick people and bring some entertainment. Lynn does comedy magic, and is working on close up tricks to do in situations where people can’t get out of bed. I think that’s great, and I told him I’d play along.

   I don’t know any magic tricks, but maybe I could tell a few funny stories of my own bouts with hospitals or recovery. Almost losing my testicles to gangrene last year is a hell of a story, and for males anyway it’s a great way to put their own injuries into perspective. That’s as ugly as it gets.

   After that it was out to Pewaukee to meet with the event coordinators of an event I’m doing for the American Diabetes Association on November 2nd in Milwaukee. It’s their big annual event to raise funds and they’re having a big auction. I volunteered to pitch in and they took me up on it.

   The people in charge were all nice, and I got the feel they knew what they were doing so that’s always a big plus. I’ve seen all kinds of events flop because idiots were at the helm but it doesn’t appear to be the case here and that makes me feel like it won’t be a waste of time. I hope it raises a lot of money for the cause, and from what I saw today they have some exciting things planned.

   After that it was a meeting with my friend Gary Pansch. Gary is a cartoonist and I want to hire him to do some work to punch up my comedy class worksheets. I want to put them into an ebook at some point as well as a physical work book, and I think it could use some cartoons for flavor.

   Gary wanted to check out the Burlington Vortex Conference, so we headed over there to watch some speakers. It’s going all weekend, so check it out if you can. burlingtonnews.net/conference.  

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: