Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Last Minute Replacement

Thursday February 3rd, 2011 - Ft. Atkinson, WI

     The serendipitous dice of destiny finally found fortuitous favor to fling a friendly roll in my direction! Actually, all that happened was a last minute fall out came my way, but I’m glad to get it. It’s a couple of extra bucks in my pocket and a chance to repay an old favor.

     Steve Sabo is a comic out of Toledo, OH and as a side hobby he books several shows in smaller towns around the Midwest. I’ve worked for him before, and respect him for being a straight up guy. He’s very ethical, and does what he says. I wish that could be said about some of the larger bookers who have more work, but it is what it is. Steve is a comic first.

   Over the years, I’ve had to cancel on Steve because of double bookings. I’m not a fan of having to cancel shows, but sometimes it’s necessary. Steve has always been easy to work with, and handles these situations well because he’s also a performer and knows how it is.

   I’ve also been able to help him out in a pinch, just like I have with several other bookers around the country. Fall outs are part of the business, and if I can help someone I really do try to fill in if I can. I know how it is from all angles, and helping others is good karma.

   Tonight there was a last minute opening in Fort Atkinson, WI at a bar called ‘Fat Boyz’. I’ve been there before for Steve and before that it was booked by a friend of mine named Dan Still. When Dan had it, the stage area was right up in the front next to the front door. It’s a small joint and the people were packed in tight. Since then, the place has expanded.

   I think the owner bought out the building next door, and it’s much bigger now. There’s still a tiny stage, and it’s right by the bathrooms, but the people are really into the shows. Both Dan and Steve have worked with the owner to make it conducive to comedy and it is. The lighting isn’t the greatest, nor is the stage, but the sound is fine as are the crowds.

   I think this was the third time I was there, maybe the fourth. The owner and staff were very grateful I could help them out, and the audience was fantastic. There were about 50 total, but they were there to have fun. I was able to pound them for almost a full hour.

   One thing they do that’s unusual is book two headliners for each show, especially in a joint so small. It costs more, but that’s how they like to do it. I don’t know if I ever recall another place doing that, but I give them credit for trying it. It helps make a better show.

   The other comic was someone I’ve heard of for years but never met named Jeff Gerbino from the Twin Cities. He’s very funny and does some dead on impressions too. We hung out and talked for over two hours after the show comparing comedy notes and people we both knew. That was a treat, as it just doesn’t happen anymore. It felt like the ‘80s again.

   There are a lot of veteran acts like Jeff and myself out there who can be had for bargain basement prices. Those people saw a killer show for next to nothing. Small towns should book more shows like this, and thanks to Steve Sabo, Jeff and I are able to eat this week.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: