Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Return To Radio

Sunday July 10th, 2011 - Kenosha, WI

   I almost forgot what sheer fun it can be to be on the radio. After a few weeks off, it was a total pleasure to be back in Kenosha hosting ‘The Mothership Connection’ on AM 1050 WLIP. I’ve always enjoyed it, but with all that’s transpired lately tonight was a huge treat.

   Being on the air, even on a small station, produces a buzz similar to being on stage. It’s especially sweet when people participate and call in to comment. It validates what’s going on, and it’s a group effort between the people in studio and listeners calling in. It’s a rush.

   This particular show has been the most fun I’ve ever had on the air because it deals with such fascinating topics. Who doesn’t enjoy talking about flying saucers and ghosts and all kinds of other mysterious and intriguing subjects? It’s right in my wheelhouse, and what’s even better is I have a first class on air team who enjoy it as much or more than even I do.

   There’s an energy between us that comes through on the air, and when we get rolling on a topic with an interesting guest it’s nothing short of magic. Most of our guests have been surprisingly good, and more often than not we’ve been able to make the phones light up.

   There is no shortage of authors of all kinds who want to be on the air to talk about their various subjects of expertise, and it’s our job as hosts to get the most out of them. I’m the leader, but the others all know they can chime in if they have something to add, and that’s the only real formula we use and it totally works. All I do is try to keep it all interesting.

   I would really love to be able to do the show full time, but I don’t know how that could happen. Coast To Coast AM is the big show, and I’m not sure there’s room for another on a national scale. Our show is different because we’re more of a morning show vibe with a paranormal theme. It can be hilarious, and even our guests comment on how funny it is.

   We do have an audience, but I’m not delusional to think it’s huge. We’re on in Kenosha on Sunday nights, how huge can it be? Even if we were on every night it still wouldn’t be enough to put any real money in anyone’s pocket. Syndication is the way to get that done.

   Too bad Coast To Coast AM has already done it. Sometimes there’s only room for one of anything, and we may be chasing the wind. Or, maybe we could be in the right place to cash in on the success of the big show. Rush Limbaugh is the big dog of what he does but guys like Shawn Hannity and quite a few others have their own shows and do very well.

   I need something right about now. Being a road comic is losing it’s appeal faster than a pulled pork sandwich at a bar mitzvah. I’ve had my fill and then some of travel, but I still need to make a living doing something that doesn’t involve a leaf blower or a name tag.

   Whatever happens, it was still a blast to be on the air tonight. I was grateful to be out of the hospital and back doing something I forgot how much I enjoyed. I hope we can find a way to turn a buck somehow. We’re a solid team, and the show deserves to be on the air.    

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: