Saturday, August 4, 2012

August Augmentation

Wednesday August 1st, 2012 – Fox Lake, IL

   Welcome to the wonderful world of August. This is a month of transition, one of the biggest of any given year in my opinion. It’s the antithesis of that old saying of March coming in like a lion and going out like a lamb. March transitions from winter into spring. August takes us into the fall season and the home stretch of the year. It’s a subtle transition, but the wise know to be prepared.

   I regret that it has taken me this long to get anywhere close to wisdom, but I finally feel myself seeing the bigger picture and I’m encouraged. I find myself in a personal August of my own life, ready to make the transition into autumn to hopefully finish strong and make it all worth the trip. 

   August is when most kids go back to school, and that signifies a new beginning. There’s a new level of study involved, whether it’s a new grade or a new level of education entirely. Either way it signifies advancement and evolution. It’s also the month where baseball gives way to football.

   It’s a subtle month, but the transition is there for those who look for it. Baseball is still around, but not everyone in every town is as interested as they might have been on Opening Day. Around these parts, the Brewers and Cubs are both out of it and everyone is looking forward to a football season where the Packers and Bears both have high hopes of success. The fresh vibe is in the air.

    Still, the weather is warm and barbecue grills are red hot with summer fun. It’s still summer in all its regal splendor, but the change is coming and the wise will be ready for it. I need to develop a plan and be ready for both the rest of the year and the rest of my life. I’m having a lot of fun on many levels, but I know it won’t last forever. I sat down today and mapped out a plan of action.

   The last thing I need right about now is more to do, but that’s exactly what has to happen if I’m ever going to take anything to the next level. I’m busy as I need to be, but every day I need to put my head down and keep plowing as hard as I can. I need a plan in place, and then execute it each and every day. I’ve said that before, but it’s still true. August is a month to regroup and try again.

   It’s easy to make big goals in January at the start of a year. Most people stumble at some point, usually around January 2nd or 3rd. Then it’s back to the same old half ass way of doing things and nothing significant ever gets accomplished. I’ve been guilty of it myself, but who hasn’t? It’s the real winner who keeps getting back up and returning to the fight that has any chance at all to win.

   Nobody makes resolutions in August, but I think that’s exactly the time it needs to happen the most. It’s one last chance to salvage the year, and a lot can be accomplished in a month of focus and hard work. It starts with a day, and then another and then it becomes a week and then it’s an entire month. If I’m true to my commitment of vision here, I can be on my way to a strong finish.

   This is all a giant puzzle, and a difficult one at that. I do crossword puzzles all the time, and the hardest ones are always the most satisfying to solve. They can be frustrating at first, but then one answer leads to another and then another. Before long, the solution takes shape. Sometimes I will think I can’t get another clue, but then answers start to flow and before long the puzzle is solved.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: