Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Time Well Spent



Saturday September 28th, 2013 – Buffalo Grove, IL

   No matter what anyone’s religious beliefs happen to be, there are a few concepts that fit in well across the board in all circumstances. These are not necessarily based in religion at all, but rather common sense principles that should be practiced by everyone who draws breath on this planet.

   The Golden Rule is high on top of this list in my opinion. What a fantastic idea, and even more fantastic when it gets carried out. It doesn’t take any religious affiliation to practice this concept, and it’s a mystery to me why more people don’t do it. A wonderful world it would be if they did.

   Tithing is another. That means to give at least ten percent of one’s income away to help others. This concept often gets abused on both sides. Givers try to weasel out of it, and takers view it as a bottomless party fund. Discretion needs to be used, but when it is tithing is good for everyone.

   My grandfather wasn’t religious at all, but he taught me both of these concepts at an early age. I’m so glad he did, as they have both done me extremely well. The Golden Rule isn’t difficult to practice once one gets into the habit, and I’ve been doing it since childhood. I do slip up once in a while as we all do, but as a whole I think I’ve done pretty well. It has been a priority in my life.

   Tithing has also been rewarding to the highest degree, and it’s not always money. Sometimes if I’m running lean I’ll make a point to donate 10% of my time instead. When times are good I will even do both. Giving has become a habit, and I’ve never regretted any time I’ve had the chance.

   Today I had the chance to participate in a charity event for the American Diabetes Association. It was a four mile walk in Buffalo Grove, IL and I really had fun. My friend Marc Schultz called to ask if I wanted to walk with him and his family, and of course I said yes. Marc was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2012, the year after I was. It was a natural fit that we both did this walk.

   Charity events always attract an upbeat group of people, and that alone makes it worth my time to show up. I’ve never once seen a fight break out, and that’s beyond refreshing. Everyone is laid back, and there are usually people of all races there who have lost someone to whatever disease.

   Everyone involved is polite, friendly and courteous, and there’s always a good vibe associated with the entire event. Today was no exception, and the weather happened to be outstanding so it was an absolutely perfect day. If I had my way, I’d participate in a charity every single weekend.

   One of my grandfather’s favorite quotes was from Abraham Lincoln who said “No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.” I realize everyone with type 2 diabetes isn’t a child, but the principle still holds true. Making the effort to help is never wasted, and I will always show up whenever possible. Without that, what is the purpose of life? Helping others is the highest honor.

   If more people would make charity work part of their lives, it would dramatically improve life on so many levels. There wouldn’t be time to squabble about insignificant things – and it’s ALL insignificant if it doesn’t help others, at least in my opinion. I don’t think I’m better than anyone else, but when I participate in events like this it makes me feel like I’m doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing. At the end of the day, it always feels like I received far more than I gave.

It was worth every step of my four mile walk to be able to help the cause.

No comments: