Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tim Cavanagh Is A Genius

Wednesday July 15th, 2009 - Lake Villa, IL

Part of the fun of being a performer for me is crossing paths with other performers who have a totally different set of abilities than I do. I enjoy quality entertainment of all kinds and I appreciate it much more than the public because I know how difficult it actually is.

One of the most talented and hilarious people I’ve ever met is Tim Cavanagh. Tim is in a class by himself when it comes to comedy and his style is absolutely his own. I’ve been a huge fan of his since before I ever started doing comedy and I’m even more of one now.

I first heard of Tim from the Dr. Demento radio show. He had a song called ‘I Want To Kiss Her’ which is still one of the absolute funniest songs I’ve ever heard in my life. He’s absolutely brilliant at twisting a phrase and inserting a double entendre and milking it for all it’s worth. I don’t throw the word genius around very often but Tim Cavanagh is one.

What makes it even better is that he looks like a high school English teacher and in fact he was a school teacher for a while apparently. His boyish innocent appearance combined with his wicked sense of humor are like nitro meeting glycerin. What a punch it packs.

When I first started doing comedy one of my first ‘road’ gigs was a dive pizza joint that I think was named Freddie’s but I’m not sure. I do know that I wasn’t ready to be there as a customer much less a comedian but that was the first time I got to meet Tim in person.

I couldn’t believe how a celebrity in my eyes like Tim could be working at a pizza joint but that was way before I understood what anything was really about. I can remember that I was thrilled to be able to meet him and then after the show he asked me to stay and have pizza with him and his wife Chris. I was totally flattered and jumped at the opportunity.

To make it even better Tim paid for the pizza. I thanked him profusely but he corrected me and said “This is not me buying you a meal. This is comedy buying it for you. As you advance and are a headliner I want you buy a meal for the person who opens up for you.”

I’ve never forgotten that and over the years literally hundreds of young comics have had a meal bought for them from comedy. Those who try to thank me get the explanation that I got from Tim and hopefully they’re passing it along as well. Tim Cavanagh is a class act onstage and off and I can’t believe he’s not a major comedy superstar. He is in my book.

I’ve worked with Tim many times over the years as I came up the ladder and every time I did he was never less than a total pro. Even when the crowds were small or drunk or at a venue less than stellar I’ve never seen Tim Cavanagh slack off and give less than 100%.

Today is Tim’s birthday and I called to leave a message thanking him for all the lessons I learned from him over the years not only about comedy but about the business as well. It has always been appreciated and still is. Tim’s website is www.timcav.com. Go check for yourself why I think he’s so great. If you have a brain and a sense of humor you’ll agree.

No comments: