Thursday, May 19, 2011

Have To Try Harder

Wednesday May 18th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   Dreams are great, but without action they’re useless. If I don’t get my fanny in gear fast, I’ll die an unfulfilled loser wind bag like unfortunately most humans who have ever lived end up doing. Who has the actual guts to get out there and chase something they want for as long as it takes to get it? Not many that I’ve seen. It’s much easier to make excuses.

   I’m guilty of it myself. Sure, I’ve had some bad breaks in life, but who hasn’t? I haven’t come close to fulfilling my potential, and I’m very disappointed by that fact. I’ve had a lot of fun doing a lot of adventurous things most others never try, but I’ve fallen a crotch hair short of really putting it over the top. That being said, I have to ramp it up and try harder.

   I hunkered down from 6am to 6pm and tried to crank out as much as humanly possible in one single day. The trick is, deciding exactly what to do and how much to do it. I have so many things I want to accomplish, there’s no way I can get to it in a day or even a year.

   What I need to do is decide what’s important now, write down a workable plan, and DO it. It’s not that complicated. There are no more excuses, my time is limited and if I’m ever going to make great things happen, they need to start happening soon. I’m on the clock.

   I’ve decided to make Wednesday my weekly check in day with my pair of pet projects - ’The Enviromedian’ James Wesley Jackson  and ‘The Pirates Of Comedy’ with three of my favorite comedians and people Don Reese, Dwight York and Dan Still. These are two solid projects I’m really looking forward to for many reasons, but mainly for the people.

   All four of those guys are stellar humans, and the sum of our work will be greater than the sum of all parts. I sent out a ‘things to do’ list to both James and the Pirates, and we’ll keep building upon the things we need to do to start making some money. I’m shooting to create streams of income from both of those acts so I don’t have to go on the road myself.

   Knowing me though, I’ll end up hosting shows for both acts, but I’m not upset about it. This is a lot different (and better) than driving six states away to work some roach riddled liquor pit, following an incompetent opener and pouring my heart out to boozed up rubes.

   James’ project is coming together nicely. I spoke with Pedro Bell today, and he’s going to do the artwork. That’ll be my biggest expense. I know I didn’t need to, but I wanted to. James was associated with P-Funk in their heyday, and so was Pedro. It was the right fit.

   Plus, Pedro’s art style is extremely unique. It’s well known among fans of P-Funk, and that’s the fan base I’m shooting for. I’m one of them. I‘d rather fail taking action than not trying anything, so if this is a mistake I’ll take it standing up. I’m investing in the future.

  The Pirates of Comedy will be a challenge in a similar direction. It’s all comedy, but for a different audience. I want to build their following in comic book stores and even tattoo parlors. I love doing all of this, but I need to turn a buck for all. I’m betting on myself.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: