Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Fun Is Rising

Friday March 13th, 2009 - Vernon Hills, IL

Right now is the best time of my life on many levels. I’m in a solid mental space for the most part and even though the dark periods still come they don’t last as long as they have in the past and they don’t wipe me out. This last one wasn’t fun but I worked through it.

Getting my TV shot is a big deal and I’ve been thinking about it constantly. I’m grateful to have gotten it at all and it was a combination of a lot of things that got it. Part of it may have been ability but it’s not the biggest. It was persistence and patience and yes, luck.

There are a lot of comedians who are able to do a five minute television set. Maybe two or three sets. There are a lot more comics who can do it than available spots so me getting one of those that were actually available was a numbers game victory. I’m very fortunate.

I’m also very grateful and don’t and will never take it for granted. Everyone needs their break though and this is at least part of mine. All I need is ONE pair of intelligent eyes to see my character and decide it’s a winner and a moneymaker and I’m on my way that day.

For far too long I was drifting in all kinds of directions and didn’t seem to be able to get it all on track but now I feel it starting to happen like I envisioned it all along. I am finally making good decisions on a consistent basis. I can see positive progress and I’m thrilled.

Life is never going to be perfect and I know that but it sure is getting a lot better. I have positive things going all over the place and even though there are a few hiccups once in a while and I still get in my funks none of that is going to shut me down totally. I’ll be ok.

Now it’s a matter of keeping it all going. As youth slides out the door and middle age is the flavor of the day I have a new set of tools to use to get my dreams to come true. I’m at a different place than I was when things were bad and I don’t have to dwell on the past.

Mr. Lucky is a character and characters are timeless. The older I get personally won’t at all affect the success of the character. Someone else can play it years down the road and it will be just as funny then. It’s taken a lifetime of mistakes to come to this point and now I can enjoy the fruits of my labor and I’m so glad I didn’t give up. The fun is just starting.

This was a really eventful year for me and I can feel more good things in the future. I’m still a dented can and always will be but I’m playing the hand I was dealt the best I can so what else is there to do but enjoy the game? It’s Friday the 13th but I’m feeling very lucky. The future is looking bright and I’ve paid my dues so I don’t feel guilty about enjoying it.

Two excellent shows at Zanies in Vernon Hills tonight. The first audience was amazing and I was at my best the whole show. Afterward people were lining up to shake my hand and tell me what bits they liked the best and I had more autograph requests then usual too. The whole vibe was tremendous and even the late show was very good which is a surprise for a late show Friday the 13th. Life is in a good groove right now and I’m loving all of it.

No comments: