Monday, March 9, 2009

One...

Monday March 9th, 2009 - Chicago, IL

Now it’s all starting to get surreal. Today was packed with all kinds of wackery and I’m doing my best to shake it off and keep my eyes on the prize. I had heard that there is a full moon tomorrow (how perfect for Mr. Lucky’s TV debut) but today was the day of weird.

I woke up early and went to the mall to do my laps. I have been steadily exercising and I feel good about it so I didn’t want to break that string. I hit a nasty pot hole yesterday and it really tore up the left side of my front end. Every time I make a right turn my left wheel sounds like it’s going to snap off. I’ll have to get it fixed as soon as I get back from L.A.

On top of that I got stopped by a cop in a tiny little town on the way home from getting breakfast at my favorite Red School House diner. Some soup head was on a cell phone at a light and blocking both lanes. I went past her on the right and the cop said it was posted not to do that but I didn’t see any signs. It didn’t matter what I saw - I still got the ticket.

To make it even more difficult I had stopped at the bank on my way to breakfast to drop off a couple of checks I’d been sitting on and I was so busy thinking about everything that I had to do today I forgot my wallet when I left. Now I had no wallet, driver’s license, or a proof of insurance card which is required in Illinois. It took an extra long time to settle it.

The ticket is going to be $75 at the very least. He claims it’s on tape and it probably is. I don’t have a desire to go to court in April so I’ll just pay it and shut my mouth. I want this to all blow over so there are good vibes in L.A. tomorrow. Dwelling on all this isn’t good.

I did sense this goofy vibe all day though. People seemed short tempered all around and I saw a number of altercations going on with people all day long. I tried my best to keep a clear head and straightforward focus but the circumstances sure didn’t make it very easy.

I got my hair cut today and have a couple of solid color shirts to choose from and some nice looking dress pants that I will wear on the show. I had several offers to go shopping but I don’t enjoy that at all and don’t want to make a big fuss over myself. That isn’t me.

Again, I don’t want to be an embarrassment to anyone. Wearing a codpiece and a giant sombrero won’t make me any funnier although it would probably be a first for a national television comedy appearance. I’m not interested in that. I’m interested in doing my set.

I’ve changed it and changed it and changed it again. I stayed up until 4:30am today and I did it again. I’m trying to include jokes I have already done so I can feel more at ease in delivering them. It was a mistake to go with the untried stuff and a lot of that is now out.

I wish it was all over and in a little over a day it will be. This is my own personal Super Bowl and it’s a fact that NOBODY wants to lose the Super Bowl. I’d rather not get there at all than get there and lose. The same holds true here. I want to win this game. Off to do the set one more time at Zanies and then to Midway Airport to wait for my plane to L.A.

1 comment:

JChaseComedy said...

This is not ground zero for your comedy career. Your rich comedy past brought you to this opportunity. I am reminded of this story:

Legend has it that Pablo Picasso was sketching in the park when a bold woman approached him.

“It’s you — Picasso, the great artist! Oh, you must sketch my portrait! I insist.”

So Picasso agreed to sketch her. After studying her for a moment, he used a single pencil stroke to create her portrait. He handed the women his work of art.

“It’s perfect!” she gushed. “You managed to capture my essence with one stroke, in one moment. Thank you! How much do I owe you?”

“Five thousand dollars,” the artist replied.

“B-b-but, what?” the woman sputtered. “How could you want so much money for this picture? It only took you a second to draw it!”

To which Picasso responded, “Madame, it took me my entire life.”