Friday, June 5, 2009

Howdy Moody

Thursday June 4th, 2009 - Lake Villa, IL

I’m in one of my cantankerous bastard moods right now and I hope it passes quickly. If it stays it could turn into a depression funk and I don’t want anything to do with that right now. I just want to live my life and work on my craft and not have to deal with distracton.

I wonder if that’s possible? Does anyone have that? Probably not. What set me off early was an email I received asking if I would be available for a show this Saturday night. I am off as of now and I said I would do it because quite frankly I can use the cash right now.

The email came out early in the morning but I was up working then and was right on it. It came from a guy I’ve done favors for in the past, most notably a free benefit show for a hockey team on which his son plays. I’ve worked for low pay in bad scenarios and all this time later when I could use a few bucks I get a cold and curt email saying ‘Sorry-filled it.’

Well, UN-fill it. He said he had a fall out and I said I could do it. I have always tried to be a good guy and help people when I can but it never seems to come around when I need it in return. This really pissed me off and I’m trying to figure out exactly why. Is it due to the fact he sent out the notice like fish bait to see who’d bite? Not really. I can see that.

Was it because he didn’t think of me first? A little. I’ve done him favors over the years and I would think common courtesy would be to throw something my way in return or at least offer it to me for me to turn down. Nope. I guess I don’t rank very highly with him.

Or, was it the fact that the gig is in a little two bit town with bad lights and sound in the back room of a restaurant? That’s probably more of what’s bothering me. I’m not excited about doing gigs like that anymore. I’m past them. I want to be doing nice places for nice money for fans that know who I am and I’m not really doing much of that. It’s frustrating.

If the guy asks me to do any other favors I’m going to think long and hard and probably say no if at all possible. I don’t know why this stung me so much today but it did. I felt it was a slight and a lack of respect after I helped him out and I’m not going to continue it.

Later today I had dinner with a woman I like very much and we went back to her house after to watch a movie. She’s been around comedy and I know she meant well but she did a major no-no by trying to explain to me why Adam Sandler is funny. Uh, sorry. No deal.

Yes, he makes movies that make millions but it still doesn’t earn him the respect of his peers. Maybe he’s a nice guy too and he can afford to be but as far as thinking he’s funny I’ll NEVER hop on board. Most other comics I know think the same thing. Who’s right?
Nobody really. It’s personal taste, but he’s got a huge fan base and I’m still struggling.

I tried to politely get her to stop but just she kept on going and it pushed all my buttons. I got up and walked out because I didn’t want to argue anymore. I don’t begrudge Adam Sandler or anyone else. I just want a chance to have my own run in the sun before I croak.

No comments: