Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Personal Politics

Tuesday January 5th, 2010 - Cary, IL

Of all the books I have ever owned, seen or read, I can’t ever remember there being one about how to be a better politician. I don’t care what anyone says, politics is part of every facet of life. It’s a game. Those who play it well will succeed. Those who don’t, struggle.

I’m not talking about kissing ass or sucking up, that‘s totally different. Granted, some of the people who do that do get ahead to a certain extent, but not for the long run. Politics is a combination of a lot of things and there’s a delicate balance needed to truly play well.

People skills are part of it, as well as charisma. Likeability is also one of the ingredients along with self confidence. Those are the good qualities. Others aren’t always so positive, but they’re still a part of the game. The ability to manipulate others or lie convincingly is also a skill quite useful in the political arena, as is a weak conscience. It makes it easier.

Some people are just born with the natural flair for politics just like others have talent in all kinds of other areas. Mozart had music inside him from birth and it manifested itself at an early age. Good for him. I think there are some people who are just natural politicians.

I’m not talking about elected officials. I mean political positions in life. I see people get away with things I never could in a million years, but they have certain skills that I don’t. Everyone knows someone like this, and they’re everywhere. Every family has one as does every office. Politics is a part of love and dating and it’s even a part of childhood as well.

Politics is a really big part of show business, and I admit I’ve never been good at it. Part of me knows I should pay more attention and improve, but another part has about as little interest as Karen Carpenter had in buffets. I want to just be who I am, but politics doesn’t always allow that. Sometimes one has to shut up and avoid conflict. I never could do that.

The reason I’m bringing this up is I saw where Kathy Griffin dropped an F-bomb on TV on New Year’s Eve and got in trouble. Supposedly, CNN said they’d never have her back and apparently it’s causing a cloud of dust around her. Really? Is it that major of a deal?

I’ve been in similar situations before, and I know how she must feel. She’s shaken some tree that didn’t want to be shaken and now she’ll have to pay for it. Will she get a second chance? That’s hard to say. If enough people like her, she will. No, wait. That’s not right. If the ONE correct person with power likes her, then she’ll be back on. That’s how it is.

Martin Mull’s classic quote “Show business is high school with money” has never been more accurate. There will always be jealousy, power struggles and clashes of personalities in the entertainment business. It’s bound to happen where egos clash and money flows.

My personal politician skills need polishing. Period. I’m getting a tad better, but I have a long way to go to be considered even above average. At least I’m not a kiss ass. They’re not liked or respected by anyone, even the kissees. At least we mavericks are interesting.

No comments: