Sunday, December 11, 2011

Annual Maintenance

Thursday December 8th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   Time to think about a ground up total maintenance check of all things comedy for 2012. Onstage and off, I‘m due. Just like a homeowner has a constant list of revolving chores to attend to, the process is never ending. A coat of paint and some TLC can work wonders.

   I don’t know where to start, as I can use improvement everywhere. My onstage skill has always been my strength, but that doesn’t mean I can’t improve. A lot. I have a lifetime of experience in all situations, and I know how to get laughs. Now, I want to craft an act that matches my persona and develop the total package. That’s what it takes to build a career.

   The definition of a career to me is having a base of core fans who show up to see me on purpose, not just happen to end up in a strip mall comedy club with a free ticket they won after dropping a business card into a fish bowl. I want to be an entertainment destination.

   I want an audience who knows what they’re getting when they come out, and that’s why they come out in the first place. A few examples who pop into mind immediately are Lisa  Lampanelli, Jim Gaffigan, Brian Regan, Louis CK, and Lewis Black. And there are more.

   What did all those people do that I need to do too? Management might be an ingredient that needs to be added, and I’ve thought about that before. I’ve had minimal experience in that area, and I think it might behoove me to explore it further in the coming year if I ever want to get past my current level. I at least need to let someone know I’m even out here.

   I also need to get back on national television where it generates some kind of heat with someone who can help me parlay it into something bigger. The Craig Ferguson shot was a helpful showcase and a great learning experience, but I know I can do lot better next time.

   The intimidation of being on national television won’t be a factor, and I’ll have a handle on what to expect so I can properly prepare. I’m already crafting more than one set of 4 ½ minutes so I’ll be a lot more experienced at my next opportunity. There’s no reason to not get another TV opportunity either, other than if I don’t put myself in a position to get it.

      I’m doing exactly that actually. I’m getting myself into physical shape, and mapping out a list of things to do onstage and off should be next. I intend to type it out and make up an actual three ring binder that I can hold in my paws and use as an inspiration to get it done.

   Onstage, I want to go completely over every bit of material I have and see what I’ll keep and how I can punch it up. I also intend to drop whatever doesn’t fit a bigger picture of an entire package, even if it still gets laughs. It’s tricky, but that’s the only way to do it right.

   Offstage, I need even more work. Making a list of places I can and want to work should be the first priority. A new bio, resume and headshot wouldn’t hurt. A website revamping is a must. I need to shake the dust off of everything and polish it up. Reconnecting with as many contacts as I can is also on the list. This should all be done yearly. I’m way behind.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: