Friday, December 9, 2011

Mothership Confusion

Sunday December 4th, 2011 - Kenosha, WI

   Reassessment time. Once again, it’s time to look as objectively as I can at every facet of my life and decide what needs to stay, what needs to go and what needs to be tweaked for 2012. Failing to plan is planning to fail, and I’ve had enough failing in life. Time to win.

   The uncomfortable truth is, I’m still all over the place and am trying to squeeze way too much out of way too little. I’m running in too many directions at once, and it’s not getting me where I want to be. It’s not bad to be ambitious, but if I don’t put together a solid plan of how I intend to get it all done, I might as well not do anything and save all that energy.

   Am I a comedian? Teacher? Radio host? Entrepreneur? Writer? Producer? Wheeler and dealer? Speaker? Well, sort of. I’ve dabbled to different degrees in all those things at one time or another, and that’s enough to keep a dozen people busy. No wonder I’m scattered.

   Unfortunately, life boils down to money. I love passion projects, and that’s why I’ve got so much on my plate, but they don’t pay the bills - at least not at first. It always takes time for an idea to develop, and there’s no guarantee it will ever make a nickel. There’s a risk.

   I’ve never been afraid to take risks, and I’ve had more than my share of failures because of it. Well, financial failures anyway. I’ve always done things because I’ve enjoyed doing them. That’s a good thing because rarely have I been able to make more than gas money.

   The Mothership Connection radio show is a perfect example. I’ve had an absolute blast playing talk radio host on Sunday nights for going on four years now. I get to be in charge creatively, and everyone involved has enjoyed being part of it. I’ve got a wonderful group of co-hosts and semi regulars, and the guests we’ve interviewed have been entertaining.

   I look forward to Sunday evenings, and I know the others on the show do too. We go in the studio and everyone knows they can say what they feel. I never censor anyone, and we create a positive energy that comes through on the air. I’ve had people say how much they enjoy the show, and it feels great to hear positive feedback. Now, how can I turn a buck?

   Going out during the week and knocking on doors of small businesses in Kenosha isn’t the answer. Making $50 a show or whatever my pittance would be wouldn’t be worth that kind of effort. I’d like to get on either a bigger station or find a way to get it syndicated on a lot of stations. That’s a tall order, and I really don’t have a clue as to how to go about it.

   That would also bring other issues like having to deal with ‘radio people’. That isn’t my idea of fun either. If there was any kind of coin involved, I’d consider it. But for now, it’s just not there. It’s a fun little hobby that is what it is. Do I keep on doing it? I don’t know.

   Fun is fun, but I have a lot of fun things going on. Comedy classes are fun too, but I can at least make a few bucks when I teach them. I have limited time and energy, and way too many projects competing for it all. What to do? That’s the rub. It’s like killing my kids.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: