Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Little Squirt Of Hope

Wednesday May 2nd, 2012 – Clinton, WI

   Just when I thought I was certain our entire wretched planet was spiraling uncontrollably down the slippery worm hole in to a flaming pit of hopelessness and life itself is a sham, along comes a night like tonight to cheer me right back up and inject at least a little squirt of hope into my soul.

   I had an absolutely powerhouse show tonight in Clinton, WI at a place called ‘The Boxcar Pub’ of all things. On paper, I have to admit nothing about any of that sounds anywhere close to what would be considered desirable. I had extremely low expectations going in, but boy was I wrong.

   I love it when I’m wrong like this. EVERYTHING about this gig was how I’d always pictured a week night one nighter to be, and it was an absolute pleasure from start to finish. Unfortunately this is the exception rather than the rule, but for one night I sat back and enjoyed the experience.

   The show was booked by a fellow comedian named Jeremy Danley, aka ‘The Mighty Jer Dog’. I don’t know how he got that nickname, but apparently it stuck. I worked with him at some toilet bowl one nighter years ago, and we hit it off as friends. He’s a few years younger than me, but is a very sharp cookie and a natural entrepreneur. That guy has a true gift, and it gave back tonight.

   I’ve never seen anyone else with his ability to approach a random joint out of the blue that has never even thought of having a live comedy show, and selling himself in on a trial basis. He’s an absolute master at finding obscure out of the way places nobody else would even think of trying, and squeezing shows out of them. Even if it’s only once, he knows how to manufacture money.

   He’s totally off the radar of the other bookers, and although there can be other problems to deal with - there are a boat load of advantages as well. If it’s a flop, and sometimes it is, he is his own headliner so he takes his own bullet. It’s the cost of doing business. If it’s a success, and more of them are than aren’t, he then books other comedians and hauls in his well deserved commission.

   It’s not at all easy to do it that way, but he’s been successful at it for years and I’ve always had nothing but respect for the guy. Once in a while he’ll throw me a gig he thinks I’d be up for, and tonight was it. He’s always been straight up, and I know he is to his venues too. He does it right.

   Tonight was a perfect example of one that went completely right on every level. First, the place is owned by a guy who not only likes comedy, he knows how to promote. He had posters all over his bar, and charged a $10 cover. People need to make an investment so they’ll respect the show. 

   There was a quality sound system and stage lighting, and the show was held in a separate room next door with a capacity of 60. I didn’t see any empty seats, and they came out to enjoy a show. The opening act was Daryl Moon, a funny guy I just worked with a couple of weeks ago. He did a fine job as I expected, and also drove which really made it a grand slam. What a perfect night!

   The owner sat in the front with his friends and laughed the loudest, and he even paid us before we did the show. And on top of everything, it was about fifty miles from my house. Pure heaven! Of all the nightmare gigs I’ve done in my life, this was one for the pleasant pile. Thanks Jer Dog!

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: