Thursday, January 3, 2013

An Inside Job

Wednesday January 2nd, 2013 – Niles, IL

   I’m hitting the ground running in 2013, and getting myself prepared for a special year on many levels. I truly believe this can be the single most memorable year of my life, and I plan on doing my part to give it a chance to happen. I’ve been working too hard for too long for there not to be a payoff for all my struggles. This is the year something good happens. I’ll bet my pancreas on it.

   The reason I believe it is that I’m changing myself from the inside. I’m thinking about all kinds of things I haven’t focused on before, and I can feel it’s the right thing to be doing. Also, over all these previous years I’ve been making mistakes left and right but I’ve learned all kinds of lessons that I can use to make much smarter decisions than I would have then. I’ve reached full maturity.

   That doesn’t last forever, and I know that. Boy, do I know that. I feel myself getting older on a daily basis, and now it’s a race against the clock to see if I can do anything positive with this pile of knowledge I’ve accumulated over a lifetime. Every day counts, and I don’t want to waste any.

   I realize now more than ever being a one man band just isn’t going to cut it. I’m going to have to team up with all kinds of people on all kinds of projects if I’m going to move myself ahead of where I am now. It’s out of my comfort level, but that’s the only way to grow. Anyone who ever accomplished anything worthwhile got out of their comfort zone, and that’s what I need as well.

   My first connection of the year was my friend Marc Schultz. Marc has been in my corner since I met him probably ten years ago, and he’s also looking to move forward with his life and career. He books entertainment acts of all kinds, not just comedians. He’s looking for a way to step up to the next level like I am, and I know we can help each other. It wouldn’t take much to leap ahead.

   Both of us are veterans of the business, but for whatever reason haven’t made a big push to get ourselves ahead like we probably could if we made the effort. Maybe it’s because we’re not like a lot of entertainment types and we don’t have an insane desire to get ourselves noticed. For a lot of people, it has been quite successful. I’ve never felt the need to pursue it to a psychotic level.

   There’s a fine line between work ethic and psychosis, but I think I’ve got a much better handle on it now. I don’t need to prove anything to anyone, and there’s a lot of comfort in that. Knowing I not only have ability but also put in my time developing it gives me a confidence that feels like I’m Yoda. It’s an empowering feeling, yet I don’t feel a need to lord it over anyone. It’s mellow.

   I’m going to do what I do, and do it well. I’m going to get in front of people who can help push me to the next level, and it’s going to happen. I know it. I’m going to Nashville to work at Zanies this weekend, and that’s a good place to start. I’ll keep working all year, and something will pop.

   Brian Dorfman at Zanies is in contact with most of the top agents in Hollywood, and I’m going to flat out ask him who I can contact who might want to take me on. All I need is ONE, and I am on my way. Marc will help me in the corporate market, and I need someone there too. I could use someone in a lot of places on my behalf, and that’s what I’m building. I just wish it were sooner.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: