Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Positive Vengeance



Tuesday September 17th, 2013 – Schaumburg, IL

   I feel very good about the direction my life is going right now, even though I have exactly zero bookings for the rest of this month. I do have a couple of continuing education classes to teach at Harper College starting on the 25th, but that still leaves my weekends open for possible fallouts.

   Those may or may not happen, and I’m ok with it either way. Sure I could use the money, but I’ve got so much to do that if I don’t manage to rustle up any shows I’ll spend my time working behind the scenes like I have been. That’s where I need the most work, and I’m making progress.

   I know exactly what I have to do, and I’ve chosen not only to accept but embrace it. I could go on and on about how I screwed up along the way - and I did - or how the business isn’t the same as it was - and it isn’t – but that’s not going to get me where I want to go. I have to look forward.

   On the bright side, I have come through the fire and am rock solid at both standup comedy and radio. I have the skill set in both areas 99% of those in it wish they did. Is that bragging? It’s not if one can back it up, and I absolutely can. I may have had some clashes with gate keepers along the way, but that doesn’t change the fact that I can absolutely do the job both on stage and on air.

   What needs fluffing up is my business acumen, and that’s what I’m focusing on with a passion and positive vengeance. I used to want to ‘show people’, but now I couldn’t care less what idiots think – and both comedy and radio are loaded with them. LIFE is loaded with them, but I choose to go around them and find the good people. The ratio may be tilted, but quality people do exist.

    I’ve been going back through my archives and reconnecting with the top contacts I’ve made in my entire life. If there’s a limited amount of time in a day – and there is – why would I choose to waste even one second dealing with halfwits, scumbags or people who will never ever help me?

   It may take longer this way, but I’ve already waited a lifetime. I’m light years ahead as both an act and a person, and anyone who may still hold a grudge against me sees the me that is far in the past. That guy doesn’t exist anymore. We all make bad choices. How we recover is what matters.

   I’m choosing to recover by updating myself to the world of right now and forging a battle plan to win now and in the future. The number of those that still look at me as Beelzebub incarnate is laughingly small compared to the ones that like and respect me – or more importantly those who don’t know I exist. There are millions of those, so it’s like I have a fresh new world to conquer.

   I don’t need to conquer all of it, and that’s getting much harder to do. There aren’t the big stars there once were, and that’s good because it gives me a chance to rack up a following big enough to rake in a healthy living. Those who would be fans are out there, and I’m going to find them.

   That will begin by revamping my entire web presence, and I’m already started on that. I’ll have a new and updated website by the end of the year, and today I had a phone meeting with a person I intend to hire to help me with my marketing. I have three or four people I want to hire, but first I need to keep doing what I’m doing and work on my off stage organization. I’ll have to get back to my act at some point, but for now this is exactly what I need to be doing. I know this is right.

No comments: