Thursday, August 9, 2007

Gotta Slow Down But I Can't

Thursday August 9th, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

Lots of running around today. I feel like I’m losing control and things are slipping away from me. So much is going on I am having a hard time keeping it all on my plate. I had to be at my tax accountant’s office at 3:00 this afternoon and I got stuck in traffic and missed it. I got a call about 3:10 wondering where I was and I told him I was trying my best to be there as soon as I could and that started me off into a stress filled slalom of driving terror.

I really do despise being late. If I say I am going to be there I do my very best to do that. I don’t like it when people are late for me so I try to offer them the courtesy of punctuality in return. Of course I ended up behind every senile farmer with a handicapped plate on his enormous Buick Wildcat with a blinker on and it made my tension level shoot even higher.

I had stopped to get a hot dog because I was really hungry and there was a joint not too far from where I live and since it’s so far out in the sticks I went through the drive through because I wasn’t sure when the next chance I’d get to eat something. I made a big mistake bigger by getting a chili dog instead of just a hot dog. That was the special so I tried it and of course halfway through it the chili shot out the back end and made my nice clean shorts and shirt look like I had been standing next to a blender with the lid off and turned it on.

Walking in to the accountant’s office looking like a baby’s diaper exploded on my chest didn’t add to my credibility. His secretary gawked at me like I was a lost pig farmer trying to get directions and all I could do was sheepishly shrug and walk into his office. I felt like a total idiot and then had to explain to my accountant what happened. He was unmoved.

It’s one thing after another. Last month it was dental torture and car problems. This time it’s tax torture and timing problems. I will have to pay him to get this done of course and I don’t have any comedy work this weekend so my slush fund is getting down to the bone.

Tonight I did a guest appearance on my other comedian friend Mike Preston’s TV show ‘Psychobabble’. It’s a funny access show and I am a semi regular. He lets me come on and do whatever I want whenever I can make it and tonight I was available so I said yes. I had a character all ready to go but I forgot the costume at home in all my stressful tax thought process and just went on as myself this time. Mike is great and I love to do it but my mind was on a different planet tonight. I had chili dog on my pants and my head was up Uranus.

I am trying to work on too many things at once and I’m overwhelmed. I haven’t worked on my movie script at all and that’s making me uneasy. That’s my best shot at the big cash but there are no guarantees of it. It’s a long shot but I think a good one. I’d be shopping it now if it was finished but all these other life matters keep getting in the way and taking me away from what I need to be doing. I have no idea when I’ll be getting back to that project but it doesn’t look like any time soon. The next few weeks are packed full at the moment.

Tomorrow it’s up to Milwaukee to co-host the D-List radio show with Drew Olson and then I have a meeting about a comedy documentary. It’s all fun but I’m WAY overloaded.

No comments: