Thursday, August 23, 2007

Talking In Memphis

Thursday August 23rd, 2007 - Memphis, TN

I was correct in thinking I would have a hard time getting up this morning. I wasn’t able to nod off until about 4:30 and had to be in the lobby at 7:30 to get my ride to the stations to do two radio shows. One of the owners picked me up right on time and off we went.

Stop number one was a show called Drake and Zeke. I’ve been on their show before and I didn’t think I did that well so I was extra careful to try and go with the program. I’m still a little shell shocked from my Bob and Tom fiasco and I get oversensitive sometimes. All I need to do is get in a couple of good lines and say the name of the club as much as I can.

Morning shows that have a strong following are many times an insider’s club. They have their own inside jokes and lingo and it’s difficult for an outsider to fit in unless they let me. It’s my job to find their vibe and try to add to the show while still plugging the club as well and it doesn’t always work out. Sometimes it just doesn’t mesh and I’m out in a couple of minutes. Other times it hits right away and they ask me to stay for the whole show or even come back the next day. Every town and every station is different and it can be delicate.

Drake and Zeke have a strong following and it’s not that they were mean to me last time it just felt to me like I didn’t get into their wheelhouse. I can usually tell when I knocked it out of the park but I wasn’t really sure last time. They’re not uproarious laughers like a lot of shows are and I wasn’t sure if I hit on anything or not. Plus they play the ‘bad boy’ role and with the FCC rules choking that kind of show more and more it’s difficult to tell when and where to stop on a topic. I held it back a few times and then they’d say something way more over the edge than I’d think of going. The worst thing for me to do would be to take it over the edge with content because the club would get in trouble and that would be bad.

I thought today’s show went much better than last time. They both shook my hand when I got there and I felt a good vibe right away. Drake has one of the deepest voices I’ve ever heard, the stereotypical big booming radio guy. If he’s not making big money in voiceover work I’d be shocked. Zeke is very funny and they make a good team. I got to listen a little on the way in and they had a nice flow going today talking about Michael Vick and all that mess so I hopped right in and joined them when I got on and I could tell they went with it.

I knew I did well because after the show the producer shook my hand and had a gigantic smile on his face that said ‘Thank GOD you were funny and didn’t swear.’ I have seen that look before from radio producers and know how sensitive they are with having comedians on the air, especially ones they’ve never heard of. I know I’m not known to them and I am not insulted at all. My job is to go in and win them over and it’s actually a fun challenge.

It’s usually a part of the sales package that an on air appearance of some sort gets added when the station buys advertising. Sometimes the show likes it. Sometimes. I could feel an icy look as the producer looked me over when I walked in the studio. He wasn’t mean but he wasn’t friendly either. After I was done I his wide grin told me that I had surprised him pleasantly and that’s ok in my book. It felt a whole lot better this time and I will be back.

When I used to watch professional wrestling as a kid it was the colorful interviews that were what sold me on seeing the live shows. The same holds true here. It’s all a sales job. I have to go on a morning show and explain who Mr. Lucky is and why a listener on their way to work would want to come out and pay to see me tell jokes at night. NOT easy.

I’m well aware of how important doing good radio is and I try very hard to make a club happy. I will come in a day early to do it or I’ll do several in a day or whatever it takes to make sure the club gets the maximum opportunity to sell as many tickets as they can.

My next stop was at a station I’d never been on before. It was a hot hits station and that usually isn’t my crowd at all. The show is called Karson and Kennedy and they were really great. They made it fun and we taped an interview which will run tomorrow morning so it can be edited if they need to or they can cut it up and make it two segments if they want.

I could feel a good vibe with them and we took off from the start and it was a really fun experience. I kept it light and funny and didn’t get too deep on anything other than trying to get off a few good lines and saying the name of the club as much as I could. Formula.

After the shows I sent everyone an email of thanks for having me on. I know it’s part of the deal with the club buying advertising but I still am thankful for a chance to go on air to promote myself. It only takes a few seconds and I try to do it whenever I can. I got a note back from the producer of the Karson and Kennedy show that said I was the first comic to EVER send a thank you note and that it impressed them all to no end. They liked me as it was but the producer said it blew him away and he asked for my cell number and if I’d be ok with it if they called me once in a while from the road to do a bit. That’s networking.

The rest of the day I mostly rested up for the show tonight. I was tired from all the miles I put on this week and the lack of sleep finally caught up with me. It’s about 100 or more hot soggy degrees and going outside didn’t entice me at all. I slept and did a couple of the crossword puzzles in the USA Today I’ve been saving and just hung out until the Packers preseason game came on national television. I didn’t know it was on and it thrilled me as I flicked around the channels and discovered it. I caught about an hour before I had to be at the club and the first team looked pretty good so I was in a positive mood for the show.

There were only about 20 people in the audience but I didn’t let that get me down at all. It’s a weekday in the summer and I know how comedy is. It’s not personal and I didn’t at all take it that way. I’ve been in this situation hundreds if not thousands of times and I can pull 45 minutes out of my vast experience pile and not even make a dent. I flowed with the audience and followed their lead and took them where I wanted but also let them give me a place to take them. I didn’t force anything and I really felt like I was in charge up there.

All my years of experience on stage and off are coming together. I can feel it without an ounce of doubt. I have paid my dues and am ready for a break. The weekend shows look a lot better and I will give it all I have on stage but I also need to work on getting bookings.

No comments: