Friday, August 10, 2007

Silenced By A Wasp's Nest

Friday August 10th, 2007 - Milwaukee, WI/Lake Villa, IL

Up early to make it to Milwaukee by 8am to co-host the D-List radio show. I fell asleep with my radio tuned to my favorite show Coast to Coast America. Whenever that happens I tend to have wacky dreams. They’re always talking about alien abductions or time travel or some kind of government conspiracy and pumping that into my head while I sleep adds rocket fuel to my already overloaded brain circuits and produces some very bizarre results.

The topic last night was demonology and exorcisms. Just what I need for a restful night of sound peaceful sleep. Nothing soothes my troubled soul more than talk of devil worship and revolving heads. I nodded off at some point and remember having some dark thoughts and weird dreams but I can’t remember the details. I woke up at 6:30 feeling not rested.

I still love that show though. They talk about all the stuff that holds my interest and I am hooked. Whether the guests are lying or not (and I know many of them are) I still enjoy all the kooks that call in and it keeps me entertained almost every night. Most nights are quite interesting and I find myself listening for at least an hour or so. Many times I’ll listen until it goes off the air at 4am. Rarely do I go to sleep in the middle of it but last night I did.

If I could pick one show to have a cult following on it would be this one. I’ll bet I could come up with some great material on the subjects they talk about and win some loyal fans. The topics are usually intelligent and deep and not everyone who is a guest is lying. There are some very interesting people who I bet would really love smart comedy about aliens or UFOs or crop circles or life after death or time travel. Would that fit in with Mr. Lucky?

I bet I could make it fit in. Quite often I actually do feel I’m on the wrong planet and I’d love to go off on tangents about stuff like this. Doing jokes about airline food and dogs vs. cats is not what will get me a following, not that I do that anyway. This is a new direction. I’ve always had interest in stuff like this but never really made it a priority to do on stage.

If I could be the comedian who specializes in weirdo topics that might be a nice niche. Is anyone else doing that right now? Not that I know of. I have some ideas in that vein that I wrote down years ago and haven’t really polished. I think it would be worth starting to get more material on these subjects. There are several MILLION people that listen to Coast to Coast AM and if I can be their resident comedian that would be enough to make a career.

No offense but I sure won’t get that kind of a following doing the D-List show. At least not today. I got there in perfect time and met Drew at the station and we did four hours of fun banter until noon. We had some nice riffs and some phone interviews and it went really well. Then we got off the air and were told that the station was off the air much of the day because of a giant wasp’s nest at the transmitter. Welcome to radio. I laughed about it but then later on I thought how typical this kind of story was for me. It’s just another example of a fresh way to get screwed. Here we had a very fun four hour show and nobody heard a peep of it. Actually it was simulcast in Madison for three of the four hours and they heard it but Milwaukee was in and out, mostly out. Next time back they’ll probably find Osama.

No comments: