Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Back To The Script

Wednesday April 30th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

At a time of need it’s great to have a good partner. I’ve been bouncing in and out of one of my infamous funks the last few days and I’ve been really trying not to let it get too out of control. When I get like this it makes me want to avoid everyone and that’s not what is going to help me break out of it. I think it’s better to force myself to work right through it.

That’s what I did today. My writing partner Rick Kaempfer has a fantastic work ethic. It probably comes at least partially from his German heritage. My grandmother was German and she could out work a platoon of Marines when she got going. She was about 5’2” but that didn’t stop her from shoveling snow or pulling weeds or whatever else needed doing.

Grandma was always wiping and scrubbing and washing and cleaning and it didn’t stop for sundown or Sundays. It used to drive me nuts but that’s how she was. Rick is a whole lot more laid back but he still gets things done. I couldn’t have picked a better partner for this script project. We get going and then it stops and then he’s right back to work again.

That’s exactly what I need with this project. The story really is fascinating but I lived it and it’s very painful to go back to that place. I had to testify in court against my childhood best friend and to this day I have nightmares about it. He forced me into that horrible ugly situation but I wasn’t going to prison for a bank robbery I didn’t commit. Who would?

It still didn’t make it easy. That whole period of my life was one torturous kick after the next and I’d rather just forget it but it really does make a fascinating story. Rick is the one who convinced me I should see it through to completion and I haven’t been keeping up on my end of the bargain lately. I’ve been dealing with my new problems but it’s no excuse.

One of my goals this year was to finish that script and SELL it so I can move on and not have to think about it anymore. It’s like a baby inside my brain and it’s kicking to get out. Once the script is sold I’m sure the movie will not be anything like what really happened but that’s ok. I just want it to be a good movie. That’s why I don’t want to have a big role.

I’m not an actor and never claimed to be. I wouldn’t mind a cameo in it somewhere but starring in it has never been my goal. This happened in my 20s and I think it should be for a pair of up and coming actors who can play the pair of lifelong best friends. Actually the fun role to play will probably be the bank robber. He ends up turning to the dark side.

Nobody is going to play anyone until I get the damn thing finished and sell it. Even then there’s no guarantee it’s ever going to get made but I really think this story is too strong to not get made. It’s got a lot of twists and turns and everyone who’s heard it is mesmerized.

That’s why I need to get cranking on it again. I talked to Rick today and we both agreed that it’s time to get back to work. I have some time off this next few months and I have no excuse not to finish this project. We made a goal of July 1st and I really think we can do it by then. I need to drop what I’m doing and make this happen. The clock is now ticking.

No comments: