Saturday, April 26, 2008

Jordy Nelson?

Saturday April 26th, 2008 - Topeka, KS

Jordy Nelson? I waited three and a half hours for Jordy Nelson? I’m such a geek. Today is NFL draft day and I’ve been waiting for it for months. My beloved Packers were on the clock at pick number 30 and they traded down. Their first pick was at number 36 and they took a white guy. That’s never a good sign but I’m sure there was some thought behind it.

There was a guy named Favre that was drafted in the second round and he turned out to be halfway decent. Maybe this Nelson guy can squeeze out a career and make this day his entry into the hearts of the cheese head faithful. He’s already got our support…for now.

It’s amazing how huge the NFL draft has become. It’s a major television event and I’m not the only one who looks forward to it every year. People go to New York and dress up in their team’s colors and paint their faces just like they’re going to a game. It’s insane.

The whole thing is insane. I’ve said it before, it’s an addiction and I have it. I’m hooked for life and until I croak I will always care about the Packers. I will watch games and care if they win and on draft day I’ll hope they get the next big steal so they can keep winning.

I hate myself for loving it so much but I do so rather than fight it I admit it and sit back every year and enjoy the day. Every male in America dreams of hearing his name called at some point in a professional sports draft. Very few ever get to have that dream come true but we all have it. I know I did. I still do. Part of me expected to get called this afternoon.

“The Green Bay Packers select…backup holder…extra points only… Dobie Maxwell.” I walk out in my mustard yellow suit with my Packers cap on and give the big smile and handshake to the commissioner and say how proud I am to be chosen by my home team. Then they flash all my highlights from the school yard and Mel Kiper Jr. says it’s a steal.

EVERY guy imagines himself in that position whether he’s 22 or 72. I waited for it too and instead of hearing my name I got Jordy Nelson’s instead. What a letdown. But I don’t care. I’m used to letdowns in life. I’ll follow Jordy’s career and he can make up for it with a good career and helping the Packers feed my addiction and win on Sundays. Good luck.

Back to the real world for another year. I’m in Topeka and will have a hellaciously long drive after the show tonight to make it back to be on the radio in Kenosha tomorrow. I’m not thrilled about it but I knew that was part of the deal when I took this gig so that’s how it goes. I caught a bit of a break because there’s only one show tonight. That’ll help some.

I’ll have plenty of time to let my mind wander as I drive across I-70. Weather shouldn’t be a problem and I’ll have Coast to Coast AM to keep me company so it could be worse. I have made drives like this my whole life so I’ll suck it up and deal with it and get it done.

Jordy Nelson went to college at Kansas St. which isn’t far from here. I doubt if they will make him drive in to Green Bay but if they do I’ve got an extra seat. I’m leaving tonight.

No comments: