Monday, October 5, 2009

The Magic Button

Sunday October 4th, 2009 - Lake Villa, IL

I am a polarizer. Always have been. Ever since I was a kid I’ve either hit it off well with people or clashed big time. I don’t know why that is, and I can’t say I like it but that’s just how it‘s worked out for me. Some people are diplomats by nature. I don’t have that gift.

Part of the problem is I don’t hide it well. If I don’t like someone it becomes known in a hurry and at some point it comes to a head. Usually the reason is that it’s a bully situation and I especially don’t take to those very well. I guess it started with my father and goes up from there. I’ve gotten my nose bloodied more than once but I never sat back and took it.

This is not a desirable trait to have in business, but it’s probably the absolute worst one to have in show business. Show business involves schmoozing and politics and networks are crucial to moving up the ladder both quickly and without a hitch. I’ve screwed myself way too often by trying to go through idiots rather than around them. It hasn’t been smart.

There are always going to be clashes in life but I do think it’s how they’re handled that’s important. I’m learning to handle them a lot better but they still pop up occasionally and it annoys me to have to deal with it. I don’t want to be involved in clashes. Life is too short.

The situation with my ex business partner is an example. He pulled his little embezzler stunt and that was bad enough but it should have ended there. Instead he had to keep it up and start comedy classes and keep poking until it got ugly. I tried to be reasonable and let him know how I felt but that fell on deaf ears. Then I got personal and that got noticed.

The same is happening with this nightmare with my Giggles pay. I just want my money. Period. I never wanted to work there again and I still don’t. I think I got hosed and am not going to allow that to happen anymore but I won’t just let them keep the money. I need it and I earned it and it’s an expensive reminder for me to not trust people I thought I could.

The whole situation leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I made it worse by bringing the fact into play that the owner and his wife have a special needs child. That may or may not have anything to do with why the comics aren’t being paid but I shouldn’t have brought it up. The only reason I did was because that’s the only thing I knew that would get heard.

That’s one thing I learned from my father. He went right for the sore spot with anybody and it always worked. ALWAYS. Race, affliction, malady, nothing was sacred and I saw him sting an opponent time after time with one punch. That’s exactly what I did here and I regret it. It doesn’t mean I don’t want to still get paid, and in fact it’s all I ever wanted.

The truth is I donated an entire week’s pay in the past to a charity drive for that kid and that’s why a bounced check hurts so much now. It’s been SIX WEEKS and I was totally counting on that money then and I can really use it now. I tried to reason and explain my position but nobody heard it. I tried to be ‘nice’ but that just doesn’t work. Then I hit the magic button and that got heard. I shouldn’t have done it and I was wrong. But pay me.

1 comment:

ComedyShel said...

I have a magic button too. But I don't think that's the kind of button you're talking about. :0)