Thursday, November 3, 2011

11/1/11

Tuesday November 1st, 2011 - Kenosha, WI/Fox Lake, IL

   11/1/11. How symmetrical. I don’t know what it means, but it sure looks neat when I’m writing it on my checks. It’s kind of like when the odometer turns a milestone number on a car. It’s fun to gawk at for few seconds, but then it’s gone. Tomorrow, this will be over.

   Today, I used it as a motivator to make as much progress on as many projects as I could get to, especially things I’ve been meaning to get done forever but haven’t. I got right to it as soon as I woke up and went on a long walk to get my exercise in. That’s always a good way to start the day. I feel like I’ve accomplished something before I begin anything else.

   I used my walk to line up the ducks in my head of what I wanted to get to, and I knew it wouldn’t be everything so I had to pick my battles. I decided to work on each of the major projects I’ve got going for two hours and attempt to get one thing finished and off my list.

   First on my list was the Uranus project. That’s been sitting way too long to the point of stagnation, and I need to dust it off and get it moving again. I have a vision of what I want to do, and I’m not doing it because everything else is taking up my time. I want to create a mail order business that sells funny things of all kinds through a character played by me.

   The character will be called ‘The King of Uranus‘, and wear outlandish fancy costumes. It will be a cross between a wrestler, a televangelist and any other gimmick I can throw in there to sell it. If I have one thing it’s a gift of gab, and if anyone can pull this off, I know I can. This is the finishing touch of a lifetime of hard work. The package is almost ready.

   George Clinton consciously made an effort to ’go weird’, and it worked extremely well. Before him it was George Wagner, the wrestler who became ’Gorgeous George’. He went off on his own tangent and became a nationwide sensation. Maybe it would help a little if my name was George too, but it isn’t. That doesn’t mean I still can’t pull off my vision.

   The vision includes theme music, and I’ve been meaning to get it recorded from a vinyl record to an MP3 file so I can play it online when I make You Tube videos to use as sales tools for my products. I went to the radio station in Kenosha and forced the issue until the project was done. The guy who said he’d do it hasn’t, and it’s been sitting for months.

   It took about eight minutes of actual work, but I wouldn’t leave until it was completely done. I hounded the guy, but I had to. It was uncomfortable for both of us, but at least it’s out of the way and I can use the song to build the character. It was a lesson in persistence.

   I also wrote some checks to pay bills, mainly because I liked writing 11/1/11 on them. It felt good to get some of those bills taken care of, as they’ve been sitting for a bit. Today’s theme was getting to projects that are long overdue, and I got to several. It feels fantastic.

   I did three loads of laundry, mailed some packages I’ve been meaning to, and all around had a productive day. I’m still slugging, and in the game. The King of Uranus is coming!   

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: