Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Star Treatment

Wednesday November 16th, 2011 - Milwaukee, WI

   If every day was like today, I’d have a dream life. It isn’t, so I’ll have to enjoy it while it lasts. Actually, things have been going rather well for quite a while now and I’m trying to soak every last little bit of it in. I know there are no guarantees, so every day is a big deal.

   If nothing else, I’m having a blast living out my fantasies. If you’d have told me as a kid I’d be a headlining comedian and have my own radio show about flying saucers and live a life of constant cross country travel, I wouldn’t have believed it. Now, I wouldn’t quit it.

   All those things might not be to the level I pictured, but now that I think of it no picture ever existed. I guess I just figured everything would work out, and boy was I wrong. I was a clueless kid with no direction, other than I enjoyed entertainment and that’s where I had the most natural ability. I was always able to make people laugh from my earliest youth.

   My school and Sunday school teachers all said I was funny. Disruptive at times, but still funny. I can’t help it. I’m a ham. I love to chase the laugh, not so much for me but for the fun it brings others. I love it when others are enjoying themselves. That makes me happy.

   Today I got a chance to be on two of my absolute favorite shows - ‘The Morning Blend’ on WTMJ-TV and ‘The D-List’ on ESPN 540. Both were kind enough to have me on for a chance to pump up the benefit I’m doing for diabetes awareness month this Saturday.

   Before this year, I had no idea there was a diabetes awareness month much less when it was. I learned the hard way, and hopefully I can help someone else by sharing my story of how diet and exercise made dramatic improvements and reversed the disease completely.

   I don’t claim to be an expert…yet, but I’m learning new things about health all the time and still making strides to change my whole life around. I’m still eating well and exercise is a major part of my life to the point of it being - dare I say it - a priority. I feel fantastic.

   I’m very grateful for the opportunity to get some publicity for the event. Hopefully there will be enough bodies to classify it as an event. 10 or less would be somewhere between a poker game and a Tupperware party. I think we’ll do a lot better though. I feel good vibes.

   I can’t be more grateful for the support I received today. ‘The Morning Blend’ produce is Katie Pinkowski and she and everyone there are sweethearts to work with. I love going in there. Molly Fay and Tiffany Ogle have a great chemistry as co-hosts, and they always treat me like a big star. Who wouldn’t love that? It makes me feel I‘m worth something.

   It’s the same feeling I get at AM 540 ESPN on ‘The D-List’. Drew and Dan give me the freedom to go on whenever I want, and when I’m there I feel like a part of the show. They have a producer Matt ‘Fish’ Salmon who even has a drop of me telling a joke and plays it when I sit down. Again, who wouldn’t love that? It’s the same kind of feeling stars get on national shows, but I have it in my home town. That’s all I ever wanted in the first place.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: