Saturday, November 19, 2011

Birthday Presence

Friday November 18th, 2011 - Kenosha, WI/St. Charles, IL

   My grandfather used to like to point out often that “Every day is someone’s birthday, so there’s always good reason to celebrate.” Gramps would have turned 99 today. Not many make it that far, but not many were like Gramps either. His lessons guide me even today.

   Even though I write my little diary every day and have for years now, I still don’t think of myself as a writer. I’m just a comedian who dabbles, but I do have to release one book before it’s all over and that’s the one Gramps wrote. It’s packed with love and wisdom.

   He didn’t write it on paper, it was etched permanently on my heart over the years of my childhood. I didn’t always see the love behind it then and sometimes he could be difficult to deal with because he didn’t accept mediocrity - especially from me. He had standards.

   Truth was truth, and he didn’t deal in B.S. He laid it on the line and told me how life is, warts and all. I never remember him talking to me like a child, and he didn’t pull punches on any subject. I didn’t always get it then, but I’m now able to see just how great he was.

   It’s not going to be a long book, and I don’t know exactly how I’m going to publish it as of yet, but I do know that by this time next year I want to have it out as a tribute to his life and the 100th anniversary of his birth. He might not have been famous alive, but his life is worth recounting to future generations. I hope I can share the wisdom he shared with me.

   Today is also the birthday of a comedian friend of mine named Gary Pansch. Gary and I have been friends for years, and he knows how highly I think of Gramps. He knows I will never forget his birthday because he shares one with Gramps, and today he and I hung out and had a healthy birthday dinner before driving to Zanies in St. Charles, IL for a show.

   Norm MacDonald is there this weekend, and that’s Gary’s very favorite comedian of all time. I don’t know Norm, but I’ve always heard he’s a very nice guy off stage and wanted to let Gary have a chance to see his hero perform live and meet him in person. And I did.

   I don’t have a lot of clout, but I was able to inform the manager Cyndi Nelson that Gary wanted to meet Norm, and he was just as friendly and down to earth as I always heard he was. Cyndi is a total sweetheart, and I knew it wouldn’t be a problem. It worked perfectly.

   Getting to do that for Gary meant a lot, because I know what it’s like to be a fan and get to meet a hero. I’ve met Rodney Dangerfield and George Carlin and George Clinton and I won’t forget any of those memories just as I remember my times with Gramps as a kid.

   We also got to hang out with Kevin Farley, Chris’s brother. He was friendly too and we bonded because we’re all from Wisconsin. It was a terrific night all around, and everyone had fun. Gramps would have been proud of me for allowing Gary meet his hero in person, but I enjoyed it too. Norm is hilarious, and a super nice guy. This is how it should be, and I loved every minute of it. The spirit of Gramps is still alive, and I intend to keep it going.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: