Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fit For A King

Tuesday January 31st, 2012 - Fox Lake, IL

   Happy New Year my dragging ass. It’s the end of January already, and I’m struggling to keep everything I’ve got going doing just that - going. Where did the month go? I feel like time is flying by extra quickly, and I can’t do anything about it. It’s frustrating, but reality.

   I did a lot of productive things this month, but not half of what I’d intended to. I have to focus on what went right, and go from there. I did some very solid comedy shows, and am feeling like I’m finally starting to build a fan base. It’s small, but I feel it. It’s encouraging to go to a show and know at least a few people are there to see me. I’m finally seeing that.

   I’m also feeling progress with the King of Uranus project. Jim McHugh has been a huge help in keeping me focused, and the timing is right for us to be working together. He’s an excellent detail person, and exactly what I need right now. We work together very well.

   Delegating tasks has never been a strength of mine, but I’m forced to start doing it soon or I’ll stay stuck at the level I’m at now forever. I don’t want that, and I feel I’m doing the necessary steps it will take to produce different and better results. It’s slow, but in motion.

   Yesterday after dropping Jim off after our radio shift at WNTA, I drove in to the city of Chicago to shop for a King of Uranus costume. I’ve got the wheels in motion to get a pair of custom sewn capes made by a friend of Jim’s mother, but I want to finish the rest of it.

   There’s a several blocks long business strip of Indian shops on Devon Avenue between about Western and Lincoln Avenues, and I wanted to shop around for some exotic clothes that a king would wear. I used to live not far from there, and I knew if that stuff would be sold in the Chicago area, that’s where it would be. I parked my car and started searching.

   I got a few strange looks when I walked in some shops, but everyone I met was friendly as I explained what I was looking for. All I said was I’m playing the role of a king and my costume needs to stand out and get attention. I wanted to look regal, and they delivered.

   I must have tried on a dozen complete outfits, and that’s usually something I absolutely can’t stand doing. This was different, because it was for something fun. I had a picture in my head of what I was looking for, and I tried to find as close to it as I could. It worked.

   There were quite a few things I tried on that I liked, but one full length black robe really stood out. It fit me perfectly, and both the sales lady and I knew it immediately. It slipped on easily, and it was exactly what I had pictured. She said it was made for an Indian king type, and I don’t think she was lying. Even if she was, it was an amazing piece of fabric.

   The only problem was the price. $550. There were intricate gold embroideries all over it, and even if I got the discount she promised, it would still be more than I can afford to drop on a King of Uranus garment right now. I haven’t paid for my capes yet, much less a crown. It was still fun to shop around and experiment, but it sure sucks up valuable time.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: