Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Money Malfunction

Monday February 13th, 2012 - Kenosha, WI

   I am the man of constant sorrow. I’ve seen trouble all my days. Today, car trouble came over for a visit to rekindle our lifelong relationship. After all was said and done, it put me $932 deeper into the financial trench I’m already in. Thanks! Now, I hope it leaves again.

   This was the last thing I wanted or needed right now, but too bad. Cars break down, and need to get fixed. Like dental work or any other emergency, they cost a lot and never wait for a convenient time. There isn’t one. The bomb gets dropped, and the damage remains.

   I’d been hearing noises for a while now, and knew I’d eventually have to deal with this. I’m getting better at diagnosing car problems as the years go by because I’ve had about all that can go wrong with a car do exactly that and happen to me first hand. I’m an expert.

   This time I knew it was a wheel bearing. I had one go out several months ago, and knew the other one was now in need of replacing. It made a loud grinding noise, and I knew it’d end up costing a couple hundred bucks to replace. I tried to put it off as long as I could.

   What I discovered to my horror was, I needed a whole lot more work done. The original wheel bearing that had been replaced before was also shaky, and my brakes were wearing unevenly as well. My tires were balding too, so the smart thing to do was just fix them all.

   The place I took it to was recommended by a friend. They’ve been in business for years, and I felt a good vibe when I walked in the place. They had awards on the walls for being voted the best auto repair place in town, and I know my friend wouldn’t steer me wrong.

   That being said, I hadn’t expected a bill that big out of nowhere and it really stings right now. I’ve had all kinds of bills lately for all kinds of things I didn’t expect, and any sort of nest egg I may have had has been completely depleted. My safety net has been removed.

   I know I’m not the only one in this position, but I totally don’t like it. It scares me to the point of potential panic quite frankly, as I don’t have anyone I can go to for financial help in a crisis. I’m out here dangling by myself in the treacherous sea of life where sharks can eat me at any time. One little event like this can rock my world, and it has. I’m stressed.

   It doesn’t matter what put me in this position, or if any of it was my fault or not. I think it’s a combination of a lot of things, but that doesn’t matter either. I have to find whatever way I can to get myself out of this predicament - legally of course. I’m not going to resort to a life of crime this late in the game. If I was going to try that, I’d have done it long ago.

   The fact is, it’s unbelievably hard to make an honest living these days, and harder yet to do it as an entertainer. Money has never been my number one focus, and now I’m paying dearly for it. I should have had this figured out decades ago, but one disaster after another has come along unexpectedly and cleaned my clock, rattled my cage and rocked my world to the point that now I’m just too frazzled to think straight. This life thing can get rough.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: