Friday, February 24, 2012

Rolling The Dice Of Destiny

Thursday February 23rd, 2012 - Palatine, IL/Kenosha, WI

   I’m rolling the dice of destiny, not once but two more times. One is considerably riskier than the other, but the rewards potential is much bigger too. Without risk, there can be no reward. I’ve always realized that, and I’ve always been willing to take the consequences.

   Most if not all of the risks I’ve taken have blown up in my face, but that doesn’t mean it was a total failure. I have learned a lot, and that’s part of the program as well. Experience can be a cruel teacher, but also a good one. Lessons learned hard are lessons learned well.

   That sounds like something Confucious should have said. Maybe he did, or maybe I am having a fortune cookie flashback. Either way, two completely separate projects I’ve been working on had major steps completed today and I‘m delighted. I feel like a proud father.

   The first one is the wardrobe for the King of Uranus. There’s a costume shop going out of business in Palatine, IL and they’re selling off their rental costumes. I took a major risk and bought several articles of clothing I won’t be able to wear anywhere else, for anything else - unless I decide to start a professional wrestling organization or a gay pride parade.

   I’ve now got a world class supply of capes, crowns, full and partial length furs and even a glittery gold pair of pants with a vest to match. I know it’s crazy, but it’s also fun. I love the fact that I took the chance and have now jumped in with both feet. Uranus is a reality!

   Well, it’s a potential reality. I still have to do something with the character, but I can see  it starting to take a definite shape. I have a nice rotation of outfits to wear in videos, and it will get more defined as the process evolves. This was a major step, and I‘m glad I did it.

   I took a big financial risk by doing it, but I’ve done that before. I still remember vividly when I bought a wrestling ring in 1991. I spent my last penny on it, and everyone thought I was insane. Maybe I was, but I sure had fun promoting wrestling matches. And I learned a whole lot about a whole lot of things. I didn’t get rich in money, but it was still worth it.

   I know this will be the same thing. I’ll make mistakes here too, but I’ll learn from them as well. And if it flops, so what? What’s going to happen, are they going to repossess the wardrobe of the King of Uranus? Have at it. At least they’ll have something to talk about on the way back to the office. In my mind, the only failure would be to not do this at all.

   The other project that came together today was a finished version of my comedy DVD. Mark Gumbinger called to tell me he had advance copies of it in hand, and wanted me to drive to Kenosha to pick them up so I can start sending them out immediately. So I did.

   This project was by far less risky, but still very important. I now have a completed DVD  that is over a full hour in length, clean in content and shot in HD so it can be used for TV if necessary. Mark did a splendid job, and we did it for a very affordable price. Today was a milestone on two fronts. The King of Uranus lives, as does ‘The Dented Can’ on DVD.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

1 comment:

Ruthie Ruhnke said...

i can't wait to see this! As a Fine Artist I am really psyched about it.