Friday, February 3, 2012

Motion Slickness

Friday February 3rd, 2010 - Fox Lake, IL

   I haven’t been exercising as regularly as I should be and that’s just plain not acceptable. With my hectic schedule lately of having to be on the radio at all kinds of ungodly hours, comedy shows all over the place and constant chasing - I’ve lost my exercising groove.

   My doctor told me this would happen, and to not worry about it. But I do. It took a long time to get into it, and I’m not about to give up now. Going back to where I was is not an option. I have to make time to get my exercise in, and that‘s what I did today. I needed it.

   Nothing is more important than my health, and I know that now. I have to stay in a daily regimen and make a habit of exercising and eating right for the rest of my life. I didn’t let it totally lapse in the last couple of weeks, but I did miss several days and that upsets me.

   Today I got up with the express purpose of getting my fanny in motion to reestablish the discipline I’d been so diligent in doing daily the last seven months. The only time I would take a day off was when I’d worked out too hard the day before and needed to rest a little.

   It was warm enough to walk in my neighborhood, but I chose to go to the Gurnee Mills Mall because I feel comfortable in there. I lose myself in thought and my MP3 player with 1000 songs on a microchip. I’ve got two chips so that’s 2000 songs, enough to walk from Miami to Seattle to San Diego to Boston. And back. Twice. I wanted to have no excuses.

   I felt a little rusty at the start, and that’s scary too. It took months to get used to walking every single day, and here I miss only a few scattered ones in a couple of weeks and it felt like I was starting all over again. I was determined not to lose momentum, and I didn’t.

   I got in three full laps at a brisk pace, which took almost a full ninety minutes. I was on a mission, and I could see the other mall walkers part like the Red Sea as I was coming up behind them. They must have seen it in my eyes, and I’m glad. This was important to me.

   Daily exercise is one thing NOBODY can buy. It has to be earned, and I’m not about to waste all the hard work I’ve put in these last few months. I will say I’ve been eating pretty well, and haven’t lapsed in that area. I haven’t had ONE soda since Father’s Day, and I’m extremely proud of myself for that. It’s by far the longest stretch I’ve ever gone without it.

   Since I was so good about my exercise today, I allowed myself a treat and went to lunch with comedians Mike Preston and Bob Jay. We went to the Crystal Lake Rib House for a slab of their delicious ribs. I didn’t have any white bread or pie like I would have without a second thought in the past, and also passed on the bed wetter sized Pepsi I’d get as well.

   The ribs were as delicious as I remembered going in, but later in the day I paid the price for it as my stomach gurgled and I felt horrible for several hours. I felt like throwing it all up, and that took whatever pleasure there was out of eating it. My body has now adjusted and is no longer used to eating this stuff. That’s a good thing. More exercise tomorrow.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: