Monday, November 5, 2012

Thrilling Boredom

Saturday November 3rd, 2012 – Fox Lake, IL

   And the hits just keep on coming! Today I knocked out yet another chunk of work I’ve had full intention of getting to for months now but haven’t. I don’t think I’ve ever been on a big time roll like this and I feel like I’m winning my own personal Super Bowl or something. It feels ecstatic!

   It wasn’t any monumental physical accomplishment that anyone else would be the slightest bit impressed by, but in my own little cockroach world I can hear angels singing and life is about as peachy as I could ever hope for. I know it sounds crazy, but I’ve never denied being a wackadoo.

   All I did was spend a few hours sorting out mounds of paperwork, clothing and books I’ve had stacked up in my living and work area but it gave me an intoxicating feeling of taking full charge of my life and I absolutely love it. I wish I could explain why this is so important to me, but it is.

   I wonder what Albert Einstein’s desk looked like. Was it messy or organized? Did he have any annoying piles of clutter that bothered him or impeded his creative process? What about anybody else who has accomplished anything noteworthy? I have to believe I’m not the only scatterbrain.

   Planning and organization skills just haven’t been something I’ve naturally been good at. Ever. I’ve always gone with the flow and lived in the moment. Indiana Jones may be able to get away with that in the movies, but in real life it can be very inefficient. I’m working hard to get better.

   True greatness is all about working on what one isn’t good at, and I’m putting a big dent in my ‘things to do’ pile. I’m taking a lot of clutter out of my life, and rearranging everything from the ground up. There’s a momentum building like I’ve never felt, and it’s nothing short of thrilling.

   First it was addressing my tax situation, and then it was cleaning up my computer files. Today it was organizing my living and work spaces – oh and I cleaned my car out too. I always seem to have a backseat full of garbage from six road trips ago, and it looks like Oscar Madison’s room.

   Not anymore. One thing is leading to another in a very good way, and I have no intentions of it stopping any time soon. Of course I had no intentions of ever letting it get this out of hand either, but at least I’m DOING something about it. Action is the only thing that will truly bring change.

   I realize all of this is extremely boring to everyone else, but to me it lights a mighty fire deep in my soul. I’d love nothing more than to be able to write a daily diary about bedding centerfolds or climbing Mount Everest, but for now getting my taxes done and sorting socks will have to do. It might not be an exhilarating read, but it sure is sheer excitement to write. I feel like I’m winning.

   I’m clearing out all the useless claptrap in my life to make room to do the really exciting stuff I always pictured myself doing. I want to pull off red hot comedy tours to packed houses and make people laugh until they can’t anymore. I want to focus all my creative energy on fun projects, not on sorting tax receipts. But if I don’t get that boring stuff done and out of the way, how can there be any room to do what really matters? I’m getting rid of my excuses, and that’s what feels great.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: