Saturday, November 3, 2012

Website Cobwebs

Friday November 2nd, 2012 – Fox Lake, IL

   Where is Dobie Maxwell and who is this mysteriously efficient new life form that has taken his place? Urgent note to the universe: whoever it might be and wherever it may come from, I would greatly appreciate if you could keep it here a tad longer to do what it’s been doing. It’s working!

   Boy, have I been making the positive progress lately and I can’t feel any better about it. What a fantastic feeling of deep satisfaction that goes with it, and I wish I had half of a clue as to exactly how or why this particular fire got lit - but it absolutely did. I’m knocking tasks out left and right.

   Yesterday it was organizing all my disorganized computer files. I’d been meaning to get to that since who knows when, but I got it done in a day and it feels great. Today I faced another dragon I’d been avoiding literally for years as I addressed my embarrassingly out of date web presence.

   I won’t be able to fix this one in a day, but I sure took a major step in the right direction. It’s an absolute necessity these days for entertainers to have a respectable and updated website, but I’ve been painfully lacking in that area for far too long. There are reasons for that, but not one excuse.

   I had trusted everything to my former business partner, and when he embezzled money I had to cut ties immediately. That left me hanging in the lurch as far as my website, and I am sure it hurt my credibility. My friend Shelley stepped in and helped me get something going, but it wasn’t at the level it needed to be. No offense to her, she did her best and I appreciate it. But I need more.

   I need to take it to a higher level and find someone who does it for a living. That way I can fire them if I need to, even though I hope I won’t need to. I just want someone who can keep me on a level of professionalism to keep me in the game and not make me look like a complete goober.

   I’ve never been good at things like consistently keeping my calendar of upcoming bookings up to date, but I can’t think of anything more important to get out there so people who might want to take in a show can find out where I’ll be performing. It’s like owning a store but not getting word out when it’s open or where it’s located. That’s about as stupid as it gets, and I have been guilty.

   There are a couple of options to ponder, as I know more than one person who does web design for a living. I’m hoping to build multiple sites for all the different projects I have, and eventually link them all together. There won’t ever be a single person in charge of everything again, and it’s to protect me from ever having to relive the nightmare of what I’ve had to endure in recent years.

   I’ve got one person assigned to a King of Uranus site, and another doing a ‘Schlitz Happened’ site. The main ones I needed to focus on desperately were sites for ‘The Mothership Connection’ radio show and my own individual site at www.dobiemaxwell.com. Those are what I did today.

   I have a third person working on those, but I’ve been delaying it for reasons that don’t matter - even if they’re legitimate. I’ve been busy, but nobody cares. So is everyone else. I needed to get it done and I got the ball rolling today. The feeling of satisfaction that goes with it is tremendous.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: