Friday, November 23, 2007

Thoroughly Thankful

Thursday November 22nd, 2007 - Rock Springs, WY/Salt Lake City, UT

This was one of the best Thanksgivings I’ve had in a long time. Usually holidays aren’t a pleasant experience for me on any level but today was actually fun. I woke up in Wyoming after being wiped out from yesterday’s insanity and felt rested after a good night’s sleep. It makes a huge difference to not have to be anywhere in a hurry and my mood was mellow.

The hotel was way better than I expected. It was called ‘Motel 8’ and it wasn’t a chain. I expected filth and squalor but instead got a huge bed and great cable and a perfect shower that had all the hot water I wanted and the room was spotless. It also had free wireless and I could sign right online without a hassle. I wish I had more places to stay in this well run.

I woke up late and turned on the TV to see the Packers kick a field goal right as the first half was ending to go up 17-6. Two wins in one week? To me that’s as good as it gets and I was already thankful before I even set foot outside the hotel room. The vibe was all good and the weather was perfect and I got in my rental car and started to head west to Utah.

One thing I wanted to do on this trip was write out my goals for the new year. I’ve been listening to a lot of recordings and reading a lot of books and a common theme I hear over and over again is to physically write down goals so they can come into my life. I took that to heart and wrote down what I want to accomplish in 2008. It felt fantastic to write down everything I could think of that I want to do and it all flowed extremely well. I am ready.

I do believe it will be the best one of my life. I can feel a lot of things coming together at once and my mindset is the best it’s ever been to go along with it. I wrote down goals not only for the year but I made quarterly, monthly and daily goals as well. Why haven’t I had the foresight to do this before now? I wish I knew. I’ve made goals before and resolutions and all that but not like this. I really thought about it and wrote down things I think I need to do in the coming year. I looked at it when I was done and got excited. If I can pull them all off (and I really think I can) I will totally have the best year I’ve ever had. I can’t wait!

I am seeing things a lot clearer now than I ever have in my life. I got off I-80 and headed north on I-84 to go to Ogden where I’m working this week. Keith Stubbs is a great comic and also the owner of the club I’m working called Wiseguys. Keith invited me to come for Thanksgiving and I always enjoy spending time with him and his wife Noelle. He’s a father of three great kids who are still little and they think I’m hilarious. I love little kids and they are at the right age where little things impress them. We played catch and colored and had all kinds of fun before and after dinner. The turkey was outstanding and everybody was in a great mood. There were no idiots anywhere. Hearing the Packers won made it perfect.

My family situation is what it is. It’s never going to be what I want and no matter what I do I can’t change the past. That used to bother me beyond words and put me in a horrible mental place but this year I was not there at all. I have a new business to develop and now I have goals and a plan and I am excited like I’ve never been in my life. Spending this time with good friends was wonderful and I enjoyed it for what it was. I loved this whole day.

No comments: