Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Persistence Insistence

Monday June 6th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   One of the toughest parts of being in business for one’s self is that it’s very easy to keep making the exact same mistakes over and over again. It can be a frustrating waste of time, and even if things do start going well it’s always a chore looking after one’s weak points.

   Self employment is no easy undertaking, and I totally respect anyone who is able to pull it off successfully. There are all kinds of hats that need to be worn at various times, and it takes years to get into any kind of a groove and know what needs to be done and when.

    Personal strengths and weaknesses play a major part in determining anyone’s successes or failures, and nobody is good at everything. It’s a kick in the ego to have to admit one is not good at something, but it’s also smart business. That’s the only way to get any better.

   As a comedian, it’s difficult enough to develop an act that consistently gets booked and makes a steady living. I’ve managed to stay consistently booked for twenty-five years, but I made a butt load of mistakes during that time. I wish I could have half of them back, but I can’t. It’s a painful process, and hurts even more when there’s nobody available to ask.

   That’s why I’m so passionate about teaching classes. I know how difficult this business really is, and I want to help others avoid the stupid mistakes I made and continue to make. It’s difficult enough to focus on the onstage part of comedy, but offstage minutia is really where it can go wrong. Most of that comes from ignorance too. There needs to be a plan.

   Putting it all together is very tricky. Mistakes tend to delay the process, but it’s also the way to get an education. In the big picture, there’s always a next step to be made, and it’s always a matter of timing. Very few if any I’ve ever seen always get the timing right. It’s a crapshoot, and needs to be thought out in advance in order to reap the most benefits.

   Sometimes all of this makes my head spin. It’s like going through a maze. It’s easy for someone to look back and see where the problem spots were, but as it’s all happening it’s a very different perspective. The farther along in the process, the more crucial each move.

   My biggest source of frustration is my constant lack of focus. I’ve got so many ideas for projects, and I must say I still think most of them are good ones. My problem is I have the affliction known as “alligator mouth with a hummingbird ass”. I talk a good game, but the follow through is weak. I can’t do everything myself, nobody can. In turn, time is wasted.

   I thought I had a plan in place with people helping me, but that’s totally fallen apart and I feel like I’m starting all over again. In a way I am, but that’s how to get things done. If a plan falls apart, another one has to be made. I’m way past ‘Plan B’ by now. I lost count.

   The most difficult thing of all is to not lose hope. I am not making nearly the progress I thought I’d be making, but that’s how it goes sometimes. Back to the lab and make a new plan and get going on that. Persistence is the key, and if I don’t try again it’ll all be over.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: