Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cold Night Hot Show

Thursday January 24th, 2008 - Vernon Hills, IL

The bitter cold snap continues outside but inside Zanies in Vernon Hills the climate was red hot. I was a last minute replacement for the show tonight because the other comic that was supposed to work had another engagement. Stuff like that happens a lot and I’ve been on both sides of the coin. It’s no big deal on a Thursday but I was glad to pick up the gig.

I was even gladder when I got on stage and saw what a fantastic audience they were. It’s nights like this that keep all of us going in comedy. I could do no absolutely no wrong and everything I said got laughs. They were in a groove and I was in a groove and we made an exciting chemistry that neither one of us wanted to end. I ended up doing an extra long set tonight and nobody minded. Everything was working and I dug in and gave them my best.

I wish I could bottle nights like this and take a hit of it when I’m feeling low. This is the pure magic that I have a hard time putting into words. It has to be experienced live and in person to fully appreciate the depth of pure electricity that’s in a room when it’s like that. I loved every second of it and I wish it never had to end. Nights like this bathe my soul.

A lot of things come together in a situation like this. For one thing I’m totally relaxed at Zanies because I know everyone so well. They know me and I’m more like club staff than a comedian. That stage is a second home to me and there are no worries with having to be on my guard about anything. I know the sound system and the stage layout like my room.

The opening comedians were both not only good but they also complemented me well. I thought the show built extremely well and none of us stepped on each other. The emcee is a guy named Jack Calhoun who is putting his act together and progressing nicely and he’s happy to have the work and was very enthusiastic. The feature act was Denise Ramsden.

I really like Denise and it was I who recommend her to be booked tonight because she’s just back from L.A. and can use the work. Plus I think she’s very funny and is a perfect fit going in front of me. None of us stepped on each other and everyone had a good show. To have a show build correctly is a big part of the comedy business many bookers overlook.

For whatever reason it fell together tonight and so did the audience. They were on a roll from the start of the show and by the time I got on I could feel they were ready to go up to the next level and that’s where I took them. They were right there the whole night and it’s a cakewalk when that happens. I just laid back and brought my A game as long as I could.

I was supposed to do 40-45 minutes but I ended up doing 56 just because it was fun. It’s a chance to stretch stuff out and ad lib and bounce in and out of bits just to see where they will lead my brain next. It’s fun to be on the edge because it makes me focus on all that is needed to get myself out of this hole. I know I have a strong closer so that makes it easier.

This was one of the best nights I’ve had in a while. It was fun for everyone and I’m in a positive and upbeat mood headed into the weekend. Shows like this keep my hope alive.

No comments: