Saturday, January 5, 2008

Steeler Reeler

Saturday January 5th, 2008 - Pittsburgh, PA

It’s always something. Always. Last night it was Hannah Montana. Tonight the Steelers home playoff game wiped out the early show. How often does an NFL game wipe out the comedy show on a SATURDAY night? Almost never. Almost. This was a true fluke but it still cost us the show. Nobody showed up. Not one person. It looked like a ghost town for a couple of hours as we just sat around and waited hoping there would be a second show.

I did get a chance to hang out with a couple of the waitresses who were gorgeous. This town is full of spectacularly beautiful women and always has been. They have a very tough side to them too which is odd but not unappealing at all. This is a tough town and even the women reflect that attitude. It’s working class all the way and they’re not ashamed of it.

It’s funny to see a stunningly hot woman cuss out some guy trying to pick them up and I usually get to see it several times when I’m here. They don’t take any lip and can dish it as well as anyone. Just sitting around and listening to the waitresses talk was very amusing as we waited for the time to pass. I wouldn’t mess with these chicks but they were still great to look at. They thought I was funny too which never hurts. If they didn’t I’d get beaten.

We did end up having a second show and it was about as difficult as a show can be. The game was still going on and by the time I got on it was late in the second half. Everyone in the club had Steeler jerseys on and much like a Packer crowd life revolves around football in these parts. There was a delicate balance all through the show of keeping them updated.

There were about 50 people and they were very nice but when there was a touchdown it took their attention away. They would hear the screaming of the people at the bar so I had to get someone to give us an update and it was very difficult to do bits and keep score for a whole 45 minute show. They laughed and were nice but it still was hard to coordinate it.

Pulling off a show tonight took every one of my years of experience. They had NO idea how difficult it was and didn’t care. They were there for a show but still were interested in the game too. That’s understandable but it didn’t make it any easier. I had to work them at a number of levels and it kept me on my toes the whole time. I earned my money this time.

What made it even worse is that the Steelers went ahead in the last few minutes and they went nuts. I had to dance around that and still keep them laughing which I was able to do. Then at the last minute they lost and some people came in from the bar and the room went dead. It was like a morgue and I had only a few more minutes to go. Talk about a switch.

I have a strong closing bit and I launched into that and took no prisoners. I put as much energy as I could into it and worked big and animated and gave it all I had. I got a little bit of momentum going and they came on board so I rode it all the way home and got off to a nice applause pop but walking through the audience I was thrilled that this one was over. I enjoy working in Pittsburgh and the blue collar crowd usually likes me back. This was not a normal situation but what in my life ever is? I’ll take my check and drive home quickly.

No comments: