Friday, January 11, 2008

This U.F.O. LIVES!

Friday January 11th, 2008 - Kenosha, WI/Chicago, IL

Today was a monumental day on many fronts. I’m still fascinated about the numerology discussion I heard on the radio as I drove home from Wausau and there has to be meaning to today. ‘1-11’ has a lot of ones in it and maybe it stands for starting something. Or not. I need to brush up on it more but I do know that today was truly a day I won’t soon forget.

The first stop was up to Kenosha to have lunch with some radio friends and talk about a possible paranormal show in the near future. I love Coast to Coast AM and would love an opportunity to crack that market and be the comedian for those people who listen. They’re not all kooks at least not in a bad way but this is coming straight from a guy who is calling himself ‘The King Of Uranus’. If I can come up with an act that entertains people who like thinking about life on other planets and Bigfoot and time travel I’ll be a millionaire. Soon.

John Perry and I worked together back at 93QFM in Milwaukee in the early 90’s. Now he’s the operations manager for WIIL and WLIP in Kenosha and has been for years. He’s a very good guy and we’ve stayed friends all this time. He wants to have a show on WLIP that covers the local angle of the subjects talked about on Coast to Coast AM. I love that.

I will be teamed up with my old Loop comrade Jimmy Novack. Jimmy was doing nights when I got hired in 2004 but lost his job shortly thereafter because that’s just how radio is. He’s a fantastic guy and I didn’t really want a partner but if I have to have one Jimmy is a perfect fit for a show like this. He’ll get into it and we’ll have a lot of fun getting it going.

We’re not going to get paid for it but that’s ok. I understand how radio is. I am doing it because I like the idea and hopefully it will lead to something in the future. If I could get a guest spot on Coast to Coast as either a host or a guest I’d be thrilled. I am going to start working on more material about stuff like this and ‘The King Of Uranus’ fits in perfectly.

As I build up my business I’ll have a site to plug and any radio time I can get will be the chance to plug my site so I’ll take it. I’m going to still do Jerry Agar’s show on WLS each Monday too so I may use an assumed name on WLIP. I don’t think it will overlap but I’m not going to take any chances. This is two different shows for two different audiences. It’s a chance to really do something different and fun and if it blows up in a week I’m still ok.

Lunch was delicious. We went to the Brat Stop and I hadn’t been there in years. They’re advertisers on the station so we got our meals comped and that’s always welcome. We all kicked around some good ideas and will probably give it a shot on the air around March if all goes well. That will give us time to get ready and prepare guests and topics to discuss.

I know I’m already busy working on a lot of other things but this could really be a blast. I like Jimmy a lot and he’s enthusiastic about doing a show with me and that’s flattering. It will come across on the air too. We both love the idea of a show like this and we’ll make it appeal to locals by first starting with the Kenosha area and working our way out to find all the oddball ghost and UFO sighting stories in Milwaukee and Chicago too. It will be fun.

I’m learning to listen to my inner voice and every time I do that it turns out great. I wish I learned to do it sooner in my life but at least I’m getting better at it now. This project is a low risk and potentially high return investment of my time and energy. No matter what the final outcome is I’ll come out ahead. My inner voice says do it so I’m going to run with it.

Today was also the day I made a giant step with Uranus Factory Outlet by opening up a business account at my bank. I met the personal banker last week when I took the train to WLS to be on Jerry’s show Monday morning. He’s laid back and very sharp and my inner voice said he’s the right guy to help me with this process. I didn’t argue. He’s got the job.

I had to drive all the way to downtown Chicago to make it happen but I was off so I did. He walked me through the process and I showed him all my incorporation papers and it all went very smoothly. His boss was there to oversee it and both were very helpful and made me very comfortable that I made the correct decision. It all just felt right and I‘m thrilled.

I was sitting in a cushioned chair in downtown Chicago at a bank where I was looking at a couple of guys in suits who were having me sign papers as I launched my dream business that grew from a single idea I had in the shower. It was all surreal but I relished the picture in my head and I won’t soon forget it probably because I also got a parking ticket for $50.

Even that didn’t make me angry. The universe just reminded me that I am not above the rules and I never thought I was. I will pay the ticket and move on. I am now in business as ‘Uranus Unlimited Incorporated’ and it’s totally legal. I needed to get the lawyer to do the trademark search and he did. I needed that to get the incorporation papers which I also did and now those allowed me to get to the point of opening a bank account. And now I did.

This is all new to me and I am enjoying the process thoroughly. I know I’m not the first person to open a business in America and I know the others had the same feeling I did as I walked out of the bank today. I felt a lot of things actually. I was proud of myself that I’m doing it all legally and above board but I was also a little apprehensive too. Will this work?

Everyone that starts a business thinks it’s going to work. If they didn’t they wouldn’t be starting a business. I am not stupid enough to think I am going to make millions without a problem and I’m not expecting that. I am expecting not only an exciting adventure but the education of my life as well. I will spend some time in my own personal life college as this new role of businessman grows on me. I’ve not thought of myself as this before. It’s odd.

I do know that I have an optimistic attitude and am going to do my very best to make as happy of an ending to my life story as I can. I don’t intend on giving up on this any time in the near future. I’m in this for the long haul. I am going to rededicate my life to making all my customers laugh and it’s up to me to find out how to make that make me a millionaire.

I want to be rich in money of course but that’s not all. I also want a wealth of friends to share it with and a wealth of creative people to learn from and exchange ideas and live out all of our dreams and potential. I’m shooting for the moon but I’ll gladly settle for Uranus.

No comments: