Saturday, August 23, 2008

Drowning In BS

Saturday August 23rd, 2008 - Lake Villa, IL

I’m trying not to let a bunch of little things get to me. But they are. There seems to be a glut of idiots who want to teach comedy classes and they’re springing up everywhere. It’s annoying and it makes what I’m doing seem like just another one of those hacks when it’s totally not. I’ve spent years improving and tweaking and putting my soul into what I do.

These other goofs are just trying to make a quick buck. They’ve never headlined a show in a club and to me they’re stealing money from a potential student but the students aren’t smart enough to know that and it all just irritates the hell out of me. But I can’t stop them.

Another thing that’s gnawing at me is the ‘Christian’ comedian in Rockford who is now apparently making big money to do lame shows for church audiences. I helped him out of respect for a friend of his who worked with Jerry Agar in North Carolina. He asked me to help Mr. Jesus Joker get started and I did. He really crossed the line with asking though.

He bugged me incessantly for months and I tried to be nice but it got to be an enormous pain in the ass after a while. I told him he was being a little aggressive and that hard work was what he needed to do but I guess he thought God would miracle his ass to be funny.

The least he could have done is let me be part of the shows if there was pay involved. It is common courtesy which is apparently not all that common. I have a real disdain for the way most God Squad wankers handle themselves anyway starting with my father on back. They like to play by different rules and always say ‘God bless’ right as they screw you.

I’m trying not to think about all this but it’s clogging my brain pipe lately. I had dinner with my cousin Brett up in Milwaukee because we were both off today. He’s been telling me lately he thinks I got screwed from my siblings on my father’s will and today he had a document from the case to prove it. Apparently they did get a chunk from life insurance.

I already signed off so it’s too late but it really bothered me that I’d been had…again. It isn’t supposed to work like that and if they had to steal from me how bad is their life? I’m struggling to survive and could have really used that money but I guess I’ll never see any.

My end would have been about $24,000 apparently not counting anything from the sale of his Munster like house on Mitchell Street which probably should have been torched on Halloween of 1977 to exorcise all the demons that lived there. But they did sell it I guess.

What can I do about any of it? Not a damn thing. I know in my heart I signed off on my end at the time because I wanted to make it easier on the rest. I was told there was nothing there and I believed it and if I did get screwed then it’s on them. If they need the cash that badly or think they’re pulling one over on me then I guess that’s what they needed to do.

This whole world is insane. I’m sick of fighting the stupidity and all I want to do is be a world class comedian and help others lives to be better. Mine is looking pretty unfixable.

1 comment:

Tia Juarez said...

Mr Maxwell according to your first two paragraphs your biggest concerns are these 'glut of idiots' teaching comedy classes without having even headlined a show.
Well please allow me to relieve you of some of your concern. There is one teaching now that was headlining clubs years before you, has a great reputation as a headliner working with big comedy stars and also has years of network TV experience. He even has NBC TV approval. Something you do not. And may I point out he too has spent years pouring his very soul into the art form by helping other comics and sacrificing more than any other comedian/writer I am a where of. You were one of the comics he helped remember? He got you into clubs and created a name for your seminars using his 'Tonight Show with Jay Leno' credit.
Of course I speak of Mr. Chili Challis.

Your methods of teaching are not hack Mr Maxwell. They're proven methods that every John Doe comedy teacher uses across America.

Mr Challis is the only one that is different and receptive of his students 'voice'. He takes teaching of stand up to the next level.
And as far as money in teaching. Mr. Challis earns far less than you do per student or any other comedy coach or teacher. You are the one that seems worried about the almighty dollar sign. You're constantly eluding to it which of course lends itself to say that's all you're actually worried about.

Just my opinion but I've done my homework as you should be able to surmise.

As far as your family screwing you over well once again Mr Maxwell I suggest you join the human race in accepting that it's filled with pain. You are not alone in that and perhaps therapy would help you. We all need somebody to talk to and that's what your rant filled blogs are about. You've created them as an identity to vent. The problem is they (blogs can do only one thing, agree with you. They can't be objective. Talk to a person once in a while Mr. Maxwell and not just one that will agree with everything you say, it will help. You're in a dark place and need a little light shed on some of your self indulgent thinking. You are obviously incapable of doing that yourself.