Sunday, August 10, 2008

Way Behind...Again

Sunday August 10th, 2008 - Kenosha, WI/Lake Villa, IL

The busier I am the more behind I get. Things are starting to pile up around me and I am starting to lose control of it all. I’ve just got too much going on at once and I need to back off a little or I’m going to blow everything I do have going. I’m full up on the dance card.

Today I got a call back from the restaurant in my neighborhood that I approached about doing some shows. The woman in charge is stunningly hot but she isn’t very versed about comedy so we went back and forth for a while trying to come up with some kind of deal.

She seemed to think I was willing to bring in comedy shows for free but that was never the idea. I was willing to run an open mike comedy show for her but I would have to get a few bucks for doing it much like I do at Zanies on Mondays for hosting their showcases.

I’m not sure if she got the idea comedians need to make a living but after a few minutes we did agree to do a one time test show for free on a Thursday in September. IF she likes it we’ll make a deal to do paid shows on Saturday nights after that and the people who do the show in September will obviously get first crack. We get a free dinner out of the deal.

It’s no big deal for me because I can walk there but the other comics will have a drive. I have done things like this in the past and had to drive so this is payback in a positive way. If I can get some work for some other comics and make a few bucks I’m happy to do that and with the gas prices the way they are ANY money coming in on a Thursday is good.

It took me a couple of hours to go back and forth and bring the manager 8 x 10s and put on paper what the poster should say and go over the logistics of the show and examine the room to see how the stage area will work for comedy and there’s no guarantee of money.

This is the kind of stuff that needs to be done but it also wastes time and puts me WAY behind like I am. I have piles of emails to answer and calls to make and booking avails to send and promo to update and a script to finish and Uranus Factory Outlet is full of dust.

I spent my time after meeting with the potential show joint preparing for Jerry’s Kidders tomorrow on WLS and The Mothership Connection show on WLIP tonight. We had a big show tonight packed with more guests than we’ve ever had before and it was a lot of fun.

I’m still getting used to running the controls but I’m getting better and nobody listening had any clue. The good part of this show is that management wants us to be on so they’ve stayed completely out of my hair and I love it. I do what I want how I want when I want. I don’t get paid a dime but to have all those other things makes it all absolutely worth it.

Everything I’ve got going right now I really enjoy but I’m having a real problem having everything fit in to my schedule smoothly. This week I’ve got a road trip to Minnesota but I wish I didn’t. I need the money so I have to go but the following week I have nothing so hopefully I can regroup and reorganize and get ready to make a fall push toward Uranus.

No comments: