Sunday, August 3, 2008

Honoring Cardell

Sunday August 3rd, 2008 - St. Charles, IL/Kenosha, WI

Busy busy busy. I’ve got so much going on right now I can barely keep track of it all but all anyone wants to talk about is that Brett Favre is back in Green Bay. I for one could not care any less and don’t plan to watch any games any time soon. I’ve got my own projects.

Mike Preston brought his video camera out to Pheasant Run Zanies this afternoon so we could record Bill Gorgo and I talking about comedy writing. Bill is a fantastic teacher and my plan is to do a series of video interviews with comedians and writers who can explain and dissect comedy as the craft that it is. I think I can put together a very useful product.

We offered a free class session to anyone who wanted to attend but summers aren’t very strong as it is. A few people showed up including a former student named Dottie who had a very successful business she just sold a few months ago. She wants to focus her time on comedy now and I can help her get better just as she can help me improve my weak area.

That alone made it worthwhile to drive out to St. Charles. Dottie is a mover and shaker and we can totally help each other. That’s how life is supposed to work - at least I think it should. As far as the actual video taping went I wasn’t very thrilled with it. It wasn’t that it was horrible but it wasn’t exactly what I wanted either. I know we can do it way better.

At least it’s a start and I can improve from there. I am not going to let all the ugliness of my situation with the three backstabbers stop me from doing my classes the right way. It’s a passion for me and I’ll find a way to do it better. I can only control me and if those guys can outwork me and make a better product than they deserve to get the glory. Fat chance.

That’s the one major thing I’m putting into practice from the Brian Tracy program that I have been listening to recently. He talks about focusing on the future and not the past and on what I have and not what I don’t. I know that’s no big secret but at this particular point in my life he’s the one to bring me this message when I really need to hear it. And I am.

There are quite a few things that aren’t going exactly how I would like but there are also a lot that are. All I’m doing is shifting my attention to those that are and I can feel a really big difference all over. It’s not that I will ignore my problems but I won’t let them fester.

I’ve got a lot of huge odds to overcome to make my life turn out how I always dreamed it would. I’ve made stupid mistakes and caught some bad breaks but everyone has a share of that in their lives to some degree. I will say I really do think mine has been a bit harsh when compared to the average Joe but I’m still not dead yet so I guess I still have a shot.

I can tell when I’m in sync with whatever it is I’m supposed to be in sync with and also when I’m not. Right now I still feel like I’m in a good space and I want to keep going that direction and not slide backwards into the mud pit I’ve been trying to crawl out of for my whole life. It’s not easy to break old habits and none of this is easy but I have to press on.

Brett Favre has problems too I’m sure but we aren’t in the same league. I am on my own.
Much of my problems still revolve around a lack of money. I need to find a way to beat that so I can focus on what I really enjoy. I’ve always tried to focus on what I enjoy but as I get older I realize that money is important too. Especially when it comes to root canals.

Tonight it was up to Kenosha to do the Mothership Connection radio show on WLIP. It was the first time I ran the controls or ‘the board’ as it’s called in radio and it went fine. It is a necessary evil of radio for someone to run the controls and many times a third party is the one who operates everything. It’s functional but it’s always better if I can do it myself.

I’ve been in and around radio for years and I’d say I’ve run my own board about half the time. It never hurts to know how to do it and today I had my first solo flight. There wasn’t a hint of a glitch and now it’s a matter of practicing every week and getting better at it. To think one time is enough is like thinking doing one funny set makes a comedy career. No.

Scott Markus is doing a great job as the co-host. He’s really into it and is very good as a yin to my yang. He’s organized and has a lot of areas of interest I don’t and together we’ll be able to pull off a nice mixture of shows. I’m looking forward to positive things ahead.

One thing from the past I will think about today is my mentor C. Cardell Willis. He had as much positive influence on my adult life as my grandfather had on my childhood. I am so grateful for both of them and Cardell always celebrated his birthday on August 3rd even though his real birthday was in April. I don’t know why he did that but this was his day.

I took time out today to honor all my memories of Cardell. He would be so proud of me for teaching comedy classes and spreading the love to new people who might in turn have the love and passion for the craft that he had and then passed on to me and now I do too.

I wish just ONE Brett Favre story would have been cut short for one or two minutes and someone could have mentioned that it would have been Cardell’s 71st birthday today. He deserves to have a day of honor and as long as I’m around I’ll never let his memory die.

There was supposed to be a tribute show for him today at Giggles in Brookfield, WI but it didn’t happen. At least I don’t think it did. There was some lack of communication with several people and eventually it just fell apart. I would have been glad to take charge but I didn’t want to step on any toes, especially of the family. I just backed off and left it alone.

Unfortunately a few things happened that killed it. Chris Barnes is a local comedian that I’ve known since 8th grade and he was out of town on vacation and couldn’t make it. He’s very popular locally and he knew Cardell well so he should have been part of a show that took place in Cardell‘s honor. Once Chris was out I thought it needed to be postponed.

Will Durst is originally from Milwaukee and he had agreed to come in but nobody told him it wasn’t going to happen so he had to eat the cost of a plane ticket. The whole thing has turned into a mess and I wish someone would take charge and do a show in April on his real birthday. He was a kind loving soul and I appreciate him. Happy birthday Cardell.

No comments: