Sunday, February 15, 2009

I Left My Heart In Sturgis, MI

Saturday February 14th, 2009 - Sturgis, MI

Tonight was the most fun I could have on Valentine’s Day without a date. I was booked in Sturgis, MI for a comic named Steve Sabo who I owe a couple of favors to. He books a few one nighters around his home town of Toledo to make extra money and also help him stay booked himself. Smart idea. I’ve worked for him before and he’s always been honest.

I’ve had to cancel on him a couple of times for various reasons and even though I don’t like doing that circumstances dictated it necessary. He’s a comic himself so he gets how it is but I still felt bad about it and told him I’d pay him back and I will. I’ll fill in in a pinch and return the favor someday. This one wasn’t in a pinch so I still owe him but it was fun.

Sometimes a tiny little one nighter in the middle of nowhere with low expectations can be a pleasant surprise and tonight was one of those. The joint was packed and they were a fantastic audience all the way through. The owner hosted the show and apparently they’ve been doing it for three years now. I’d never even heard of it before but this place rocked.

They even fed us for free. It was delicious too. They had a dish called ‘baked steak’ and it melted in my mouth. It was kind of like a pot roast dish served over noodles with lots of mushrooms which I happen to love. Who’d expect all this from some little roadside joint?

No offense, I sure didn’t. Even the sound and lights were excellent. I couldn’t believe it. Usually one nighters in bars like that have various degrees of malfunction which make the whole night more difficult than it needs to be but not tonight. Everything ran smoothly for the entire evening and it truly made it a worthwhile trip. I’d come back here in a second.

Many things went into the success of this show. First, Steve Sabo is a comic and knows what it takes to have a good show at a place like this. Second, the owner actually listened and did what he said. It’s a team effort and that’s why it’s lasted for three years. Plus it’s a biweekly show and they shut it down for the summer. The owner doesn’t overexpose it.

Everything about this gig was good. The opener was a guy out of Columbus, OH named Rye Silverman who I’ve worked with before also at a Steve Sabo gig. He’s a nice guy and the audience really liked him too. He didn‘t step on my premises and we got along nicely. It all flowed perfectly. Sometimes there can be clashes or hassles but none of that tonight.

Even the hotel was surprisingly good. They had a game room with a free pool table in it and I can’t remember the last time I saw that anywhere. This was one of those times when everything just falls together and I’ve had enough times when it didn’t to really appreciate the entire scope of it. For one night in one little town things went like they’re supposed to.

Steve Sabo is a smart guy. He’s got a few of these kinds of shows around the area and it puts a few bucks in everyone’s pocket. Being a booker and a comic are two different skill sets entirely and kudos to him for doing both. It’s a good way to keep the cash flowing for all of us in a tough economy and if nobody else appreciates it I sure do. Thank you Steve.

No comments: