Monday, February 16, 2009

Mixed Radio Signals

Sunday February 15th, 2009 - Kenosha, WI

The radio business is in a state of flux right now. Everything is in a panic and it’s even more unstable than usual and that says a lot. That’s like saying Madonna is feeling ‘a wee bit horny.’ Really? Sleeping with everyone on Craig’s List didn’t hit ‘send‘ on that email?

It’s happening in all size markets and I’ve been a victim of the ‘tornadio of radio’ a few times myself. Recently. Losing the Loop gig still stings but that was in 2004. I know it’s a long time ago but it still stinks and there was no real reason for it other than some simp in a suit in charge of a major market radio station was trying to shake things up and he did.

He turned out to be dead wrong but he’s still employed for some ungodly reason. He’s a slick talking used car salesman type and has never been on the air in his life but that’s the typical monkey who makes programming decisions these days. It’s totally out of control.

A similar imbecile with even less of a clue fired my friend Jerry Agar at WLS which in turn put a dagger in our Jerry’s Kidders bit we did every Monday. He replaced Jerry with a brokered show which is a total cop out. Rather than have the sales staff sell commercial spots it’s easier to sell it as a whole chunk and be done with it. They‘re whoring it all out.

It’s even trickling down to me at WLIP in Kenosha, WI for my Mothership Connection show on Sunday nights. I received word late in the week there is now an infomercial that will run on the station from 8-9pm taking out the first hour of our show and there’s not a thing I can do about it. I have two choices - quit or adapt and I did think about quitting.

It’s only a little show on a little station once a week and nobody gets a nickel for it. We do it because we all enjoy it but fun doesn’t pay bills. We could all probably find several better things to do on a Sunday evening but the show is growing on us and we all love it.

I’ve known the program director John Perry since I was at WQFM in Milwaukee back in 1991 and I consider him a friend. We’ve always had a good working relationship and I don’t ever want to do anything to burn a bridge with him because I respect his position.

He’s gone to bat for me more than once when I’ve needed a job and I’ve worked in the building off and on several times in the past dozen years or so under different ownerships. This decision was an ownership thing which was made over his head and he told me I’m stuck with either accepting it or not but in his words ‘we won’t be able to fight city hall.’

Fair enough. He’s right about that and the corporate bigwigs are doing what they think they need to do to turn a buck whether any of us in programming like it or not. I was a bit put out that it happened so quickly and I had a guest I had to cancel but that’s how it goes.

What will end up happening at least for now is that we’ll be moved ahead an hour and it won’t really make all that much difference. 8-10pm to 9-11pm isn’t a deal breaker but I’ll be careful about making long term plans because anything else could happen at any time.

No comments: