Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Time Management Is Tough

Monday February 23rd, 2009 - Chicago, IL

Time is ticking away and there are only a couple of weeks before my big TV shot. I feel very confident I’ll be able to pull it off but I still need to keep everything else going too. It is always a matter of time management and every day no matter how much I pack in I still feel I left a lot on the table. That’s frustrating because it takes away from what I did do.

I could accomplish ten things in a day and then look at what I didn’t get done and it’s an absolute disappointment. I really am moving along well on a lot of things but I’m also not getting to everything I want to and that’s probably never going to happen. What do I do?

I know myself and wouldn’t be happy if I lessened my load. I like too many things and I would feel like I cheated myself if I didn’t at least try to sample a little bit of everything. I really do enjoy all the projects I’ve got going now it’s just a matter of choosing the order.

The Late Late Show appearance is number one right now but that’s two weeks away. In a day that will all be over and I need to make a plan on how to follow it up. I’ve got a nice run of shows coming up in March and April so that’s good but how can I parlay them into something bigger? I need a lot more products to sell and I need to open the Uranus store.

This all takes time and especially vision and I have part of that vision but it changes on a daily basis depending on what I’m working on. I still love to teach comedy classes too. I should have an online version of those set up so people can just download them and begin studying on their own. I’d love to still teach live too but again time just won’t slow down.

Today was an example of how a day gets eaten. Jerry’s Kidders wanted to meet up for a brainstorm session on how we can keep that project going. The other guys live south so it was my turn to take the long drive. It was 100 miles one way to get together and while we had fun I’m not sure how much we got done. This is not something we can fix overnight.

Without Jerry Agar having a job at a radio station it makes it tough. While we had a lot of fun doing it on WLS trying to resurrect it on a small station or on the internet would be a major step backward and I’m not sure if I have the time to be farting around with that.

Still, Tim Slagle and Ken Sevara are great to work with and we have a lot of laughs for as long as we’re together so that’s something I don’t want to just dump and walk away. It was a very productive year of being on with Jerry and it would be great to get back and do it again but there’s no guarantee of that. The stars aligned for us and they may not again.

Then I had a dinner with my speaker friend Todd Hunt. He’s a great marketer and even in a tough economy he still plugs along. We exchanged ideas on stuff and he was helpful with tips on how to work with my TV set. He is very structured and I’m not. It helped.

After that it was off to Zanies in Chicago to host the rising star showcase. Tonight was a stellar lineup of comics and a full audience who loved it. Another jam packed action day.

No comments: