Friday, February 13, 2009

Luck 'Em If They Can't Take A Joke

Friday February 13th, 2009 - Milwaukee, WI/Rockford, IL

Friday the 13th is Mr. Lucky’s personal holiday. I’ve said it before but that’s when every other person on Earth gets to feel what it’s like to be me for a day. They’re all waiting for some disaster to happen and the pressure is off of me for a change. I actually feel at ease.

This is an unusual year because we’ve got back to back Friday the 13ths and there are a total of three for 2009 which is the most any one year can have. I don’t know if that’s any good for anyone but me but I sure like it because I can have a chance to promote myself.

There’s another one in March and that’s the launch date I’m looking to have my Uranus Factory Outlet website up and running and able to take an order. I’ve still got a significant amount of work to do to make that happen but I’m forging ahead. Deadlines are a positive thing and bring out the best in winners. I’ll do my best to get it done when I said I would.

I had to file an extension for my trademark which cost $150 plus lawyer fees but I can’t afford to let that get away after getting it this far. I will pay the fee and keep plugging and not let up until I turn this into a reality. I’m the King of Uranus and nobody can stop me!

Right now nobody’s trying to stop me so that’s a huge plus. Most people think I’m just a kook bag and that’s ok too. I don’t care, I still think it’s fun and I’m going to make it all come together despite what anyone else thinks. Life is too short to not chase a fun dream and this is totally it - at least for me. Nobody else could pull this gimmick off any better.

Mr. Lucky is another story. There could be some young actor who could play the role of Mr. Lucky much like Dick Van Dyke played Carl Reiner for The Dick Van Dyke Show. It wouldn’t really bother me at all if he nailed it as strongly as Dick Van Dyke did. I have no problem with that at all as long as the production is a big hit. I don’t even have to be in it.

Carl Reiner got to play Alan Brady which must have been a fun role but Dick Van Dyke was the lead even though it was based on Carl Reiner’s life. He was secure enough in his skin to relinquish the lead but in return got to be on one of the greatest sitcoms in history.

I’d make that trade in a second. Mr. Lucky is a fun comic character to play but the times when it comes too close to my real life are anything but fun. I’m starting to separate them quite nicely though and Dobie Maxwell is growing as a person while Mr. Lucky is getting deeper and more recognizable as a comic persona. That’s the way to make this all work.

Today I drove up to Milwaukee to be on ‘The D List’ on ESPN Radio 540 with the guys from 10 to noon and then I drove to Rockford to be on ‘104 The X’ with my other friends ‘Stone and Double T’. It was fun to be Mr. Lucky on the air especially on Friday the 13th.

At least I’m not rusting away in my old age. I’m putting projects on the table to work on and very ambitious ones at that. I might succeed overwhelmingly or totally miss my mark but at least I’m out here DOING something. It’s about the journey and I’m on a good one.

No comments: