Saturday, April 4, 2009

Heavy Pettiness

Friday April 3rd, 2009 - Kansas City, KS

No go on the rock radio show this morning but I’m not upset about it. I knew none of it was about me so I don’t even want to give it a second thought. Would it have been nice to get on? I guess so. The guy has the top rated show in town and the last two times I was in it did put some butts in seats. I was able to make the crew laugh and I felt they liked me.

They probably did like me then but unfortunately this week the guy has a bug up his ass about the club owner Craig so that means I’m just out of luck. Whatever. It’s not like I’m experiencing this for the first time. Bob and Tom physically threw me out of their studio.

I still haven’t been able to find out exactly what I did to deserve that but apparently I did break some rule they had that nobody told me about. Again, whatever. I was on that show several times before and did pretty well but one day everything changed and now I’m out.

Will I ever get back on the show here in Kansas City? I hope so. It really is a very strong show and the guy is excellent at what he does. I never had any personal jags with him so it should all blow over but who knows? Sometimes people believe their own press clippings.

My friend Jerry Agar worked in the same building with this guy when he was in Kansas City and they had some heat too. The guy can be a pain to deal with apparently but that’s the privilege of having high ratings. People will put up with a lot of things…for a while.

There will come a time when those ratings are gone and everything will change but that’s not now so why worry about it? I don’t have anything against the guy here but I hate to be in the middle of this ugliness. Craig busts his ass and I think he’s being disrespected here.

I thought I was very much disrespected by Bob and Tom and I still do. It’s not a matter of that they have a huge show in over 200 markets. It’s a matter of human to human and I had been nothing but nice to them. If I made a mistake which I apparently did they should have told me and I would have quickly and sincerely apologized. But they kicked me out.

This is the kind of stuff that always reminds me of Martin Mull’s quote ‘Show business is high school with money’. How true. He said she said games like this make me puke. It’s supposed to be FUN and it can be but when things like this happen it taints all of the fun.

Things like this make me want to be even nicer to people. I know I’m not perfect but I’ll put my reputation as a human being up with just about anyone and I have to think I’ll be in the top percentile. Maybe it’s a good thing I’ve struggled so long because it does allow me to have a much better feel for the big picture and how unimportant most things really are.

There’s no reason to be an ass to people, at least on a large scale. I guess I haven’t had a taste of success like the guy here or Bob and Tom but when I do I don’t want to act like a spoiled little baby. I want to be classy and have people say “Damn, can you believe what a nice guy he is?” That’s the ultimate challenge in life and I want to win the ultimate victory.

No comments: