Sunday, April 5, 2009

Kansas City Loyals

Sunday April 5th, 2009 - Kansas City, KS

Getting ready for the long drive back to Chicago after the show tonight. Despite the few glitches this was still a fun week. I like it here. The people are very friendly as a whole and everyone at the club is nice from the owners on down. The club itself is gorgeous and in a spanking new entertainment complex so hopefully they’ll be here for a long time to come.

If I ever get to record a television special this would be a perfect location to do it. That would be a great decision to have to make but this place is definitely in the running. I have several places I enjoy working where I like either the town or the club itself or the owner.

Very few places do I like all three but this is one of them. There are three brothers who run the club and I have no idea what the hierarchy is but they’re all very nice to me. I have never had a problem getting exactly the amount of money we agree on and everything else is well above average. The hotel is very nice and the club comps our drinks and bar food.

That’s all a part of the grind that really matters after a while. Some places put us up in a total hovel just to save a few bucks in the short run. In the long run it doesn’t do anything but create resentment between the comics and the owners and I’ve seen it happen often.

I’m actually pretty low maintenance on the road. I don’t drink or do drugs so that’s not a problem and I show up on time and do the best shows I can. I don’t complain about a lot of things like I’ve seen other comics do and unless it’s totally out of line I just roll with it.

The deal with the radio station had nothing to do with me so that’s a non issue. I hope it clears up for the club’s sake. Craig Glazer really works hard and he’s a fair and honest guy from all my dealings with him. I’d like to see him get treated that way by the radio guy and see the club packed every week whether I’m here or not. Life is too short to fart around.

Don’t I know that. I’ve been the king of farting around with all kinds of stuff I need to be leaving alone and getting going on other stuff I need to put in it’s place. I have a new class scheduled to start this week at Zanies and I’m excited to be able to get back to that again.

I have a website that needs updating and a Uranus Factory Outlet business to develop so I can say that I have ‘money coming out of Uranus‘ and mean it. There is so much to do in such a short period of time that I have no time to waste. I’m finishing this up early and will pack my car before the show and head out directly after. Good or bad, this week is over.

Actually it was way more good than bad. The little things that went wrong weren’t even close to the things that went well. I hung out with some super people and I did actually do several good shows and I also had some world class barbecue I can’t get anywhere else.

As far as road weeks go this was a good one. I need to keep things in perspective. I’m a comic very grateful to be working. I’ll use the money I make this week to invest in myself and go back to Chicago and tee it up again. The clock keeps ticking. I’m still in the game.

No comments: