Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Aiming For Uranus

Monday July 6th, 2009 - Chicago, IL

It’s taking a lot longer than I imagined but I’m finally starting to move ahead on the task of getting a website put together for Uranus Factory Outlet. I’ve been very careful to keep from giving up any percentage of the business so far because I’m not sure where it all will go. Eventually I may have to give up a big chunk or even all of it but for now it’s all me.

That’s why it’s taken so long to get to this point. I’ve been trying to juggle all my other projects and that just takes up time. This is the first time I’ve had to do this and I’m going at it the fastest I can with my limited resources. I want to take it as far as I can before I put it in the hands of anyone else who doesn’t share my vision. This was my baby and still is.

The guy I met with was recommended to me by my friend Max down in Springfield, IL. He does the site for Max’s New Salem Deli and Max thought he might be up for trying to help me get started. I talked to the guy on the phone and today we met up in person to see if we might be able to work together. Anyone recommended by Max has a big head start.

The guy’s name is Mark and he has some very nice sites on his resume. I took a look at a few of the things he’s done and it may be someone I can work with but I want to have a chance to talk to a few others before I make a final decision. This is my life savings here. I want to find the best match of someone I think I can work with and will help me grow.

No offense to anyone but I want someone who is going to meet my needs and also a guy (or woman) I can build a business relationship with over a lifetime. My mail order guru in California Melvin Powers told me he’s had the same printer for 40 years. I think that’s the smart way to handle things and I totally want to do the same. I want to exchange loyalties.

I also want someone who can give me what I want and need and someone who isn’t too big or too small right now. I want to find someone like minded who wants to develop into a big entity that can provide income for the infamous golden years, IF indeed we make it.

My friend Shelley is currently handling my personal site at www.dobiemaxwell.com. It looks great and meets my needs and she’s very easy to work with but she’s got a family to look after and she lost her job unceremoniously and money is an issue. I can’t pay her top dollar right now and that’s just how it is. We both have to survive and that’s a fact of life.

Mark and I had a nice lunch at a Greek restaurant in Naperville. That’s a long drive and I barely made it into Chicago for comedy class at 6pm with Bill Gorgo. We had enough to do a class but I’m not sure who will stay for the whole session. Summer classes are a hard thing to plan with everyone’s vacations etc. but so far it looks like we‘ll be able to get by.

After class I hosted the rising star showcase show. There was an odd mix of people both in the audience and on stage too but neither were bad. The audience was a bit young and I could see that right away so I made adjustments accordingly. That’s part of having a lot of experience to draw from. I knew exactly what to do and did it. Small steps lead to bigger.

No comments: